Creaking sound after strut mount replacement.

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
lakersfan1

Creaking sound after strut mount replacement.

Post by lakersfan1 »

I just replaced my upper strut mount. Had to compress the spring to take it off. Reassembled everything, put it back on, now it's creaking/groaning when I turn it. Any theories? Does it take a while to settle after reassembly? I think I lined up the upper and lower perch pretty decent. Does it need to be EXACT spot-on? Does the lower part of the spring need to be every degree rotated until it is making full contact with the dimple in the lower perch?

Or maybe my strut mount is backwards? My replacement didn't have the nipple on top to let you know which way it was supposed to point, but it did have a notch on the metal on the bottom like the OEM mount did, so I faced them the same way based on that notch. Was that right, or is there another indicator on the mount to make sure it's facing the right way?
Macen

Post by Macen »

I had the same problem when I replaced my struts and springs. But it went away after a couple of weeks.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Macen wrote:I had the same problem when I replaced my struts and springs. But it went away after a couple of weeks.
Sweet. good to hear. I'll let it go a while before deciding to tear it down and redo it again. :2thumbsup:
Macen

Post by Macen »

Yeah, I was on the way to tear my down too.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
Yoda

Re: Creaking sound after strut mount replacement.

Post by Yoda »

Did you install the thrust bearing correctly? if it isn't the strut and spring assy isn't going to turn freely. You also wear out tires prematurely if the thrust bearing is missing or defective.
lakersfan1 wrote:I just replaced my upper strut mount. Had to compress the spring to take it off. Reassembled everything, put it back on, now it's creaking/groaning when I turn it. Any theories? Does it take a while to settle after reassembly? I think I lined up the upper and lower perch pretty decent. Does it need to be EXACT spot-on? Does the lower part of the spring need to be every degree rotated until it is making full contact with the dimple in the lower perch?

Or maybe my strut mount is backwards? My replacement didn't have the nipple on top to let you know which way it was supposed to point, but it did have a notch on the metal on the bottom like the OEM mount did, so I faced them the same way based on that notch. Was that right, or is there another indicator on the mount to make sure it's facing the right way?
lakersfan1

Re: Creaking sound after strut mount replacement.

Post by lakersfan1 »

Yoda wrote:Did you install the thrust bearing correctly? if it isn't the strut and spring assy isn't going to turn freely. You also wear out tires prematurely if the thrust bearing is missing or defective.
lakersfan1 wrote:I just replaced my upper strut mount. Had to compress the spring to take it off. Reassembled everything, put it back on, now it's creaking/groaning when I turn it. Any theories? Does it take a while to settle after reassembly? I think I lined up the upper and lower perch pretty decent. Does it need to be EXACT spot-on? Does the lower part of the spring need to be every degree rotated until it is making full contact with the dimple in the lower perch?

Yep. 100% sure. I didn't follow the shop manual for disassembly, but followed it step-for-step for reassembly. And I didn't have any leftover parts. :lol:
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

making creaking eh?

when does it do it? when applying brakes? When starting out in gear? When steering?

could be a combination of things...tie-rod end, balljoint, brakes or caliper sticking, or yeah..ur strut mount not being tightened enough
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
nickmx3

Post by nickmx3 »

i have a creaking sound moving off in gear i suspect it could be the springs or the mount on the top any ideas
1995 J-Spec Az3, BPT swap, mazda speed eibach springs, mazda speed swaybars, mazda speed exhaust, mazda speed shock tower bar, mazda speed bodykit, sr shocks, disk-brakes all around,turbox boost controler, honda del sol act pressure plate, fmic 20x12x3
gfreire

Post by gfreire »

I am also get a creaking noise but only when i apply the brakes. But if i apply th breaks fully it wont do it. I recently replaced my two front bearings. I know i need to replace my struts, thats were im hoping th eproblem resides.
[FS] Carbon Fiber Alteza Tail Lights used
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54541
[FS] 17' Motegi DP6 Hyper Black rims
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54497
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

I also have the same creakin sound.
but mine is when I go up a sharp slope (driveway) while turning.
It's the only time it does this.
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

hate to sound like a broken record, but i too have that sound. is there something that we're ALL doing wrong?? :confused2:
kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”