Starting problems I cant figure out...

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
happyclown

Starting problems I cant figure out...

Post by happyclown »

So earlyer i wrote about this http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=43456 , about the problem i had starting, thought i had solved it by tightning my plugs. But, it did it again!

Once the starter wasnt cranking right, it was really slow, now everytime it doesnt start it cranks at the right speed but the engine doesnt turn over. The first time this happened I waited about an hour to let the engine cool down and when i came back it started just fine. The next time I tried it waiting an hour didnt work, it was still having trouble starting, also tried jumping it, and that doesnt seem to get rid of the problem 100%.

When it does turn over the rpms drop right off the bat down to like 250, then they rise and drop between 250 and 700, after about a minute or two if it doesnt stall it starts to idle normal. It seems to dive fine, i dont notice much of a power loss, so im clueless as to what it is.

My guesses are a sensor or maybe the distributor cap, is there any way someone can help out, maybe tell me how to narrow things down.

1993 RS Teal
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

you might want to check your BAC valve...instructions are in the repair manual. :shrug: it's located on the bottom side of the throttle body.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
azazel95

Re: Starting problems I cant figure out...

Post by azazel95 »

happyclown wrote: When it does turn over the rpms drop right off the bat down to like 250, then they rise and drop between 250 and 700, after about a minute or two if it doesnt stall it starts to idle normal. It seems to dive fine, i dont notice much of a power loss, so im clueless as to what it is.
Same exact thing happens in mine. It started doing it after I messed with the MAF sensor (like a dumbass :oops: ) But I never have problems starting so I don't know if its the same problem or not.
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

Ok, so now i think it is the starter, now it just makes a quite growling noise. nothing else... the cool thing is i'll get a new one for free if it test dead... but it kinda pisses me off that it didnt last that long.

What can cause a starter to die?
If my flywheel's teeth are ground up will that affect the life of the starter?

What electrically can kill a starter... would now be a good time to get some 4 guage wires and ground things?

The guys at NAPA tested my alternator for me and it tested good, but i've heard that it can fluxuate when it starts to die... would stuff like that kill a starter?

thanks!
1993 RS Teal

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”