New Guy

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
g0t_slack

New Guy

Post by g0t_slack »

I just got an 93 MX3, electric blue, or whatever varation of teal it's called...
It's in awesome shape, 166k miles... paid 1700 for it.

So, Ive been reading up around here, and I guess I should get an <s>intercooler</s> transmission cooler right away. That seems to be important with these.

What are some other (Failry cheap) upgrades I can do to make this 4banger go faster?
Last edited by g0t_slack on July 30th, 2005, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

intercooler on mx3 oh ya.. and turbo in the trunk youll be pushing like 20 psi at the wheels dude... :P
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Welcome to the board! but why get a intercooler? u dont have a turbo i am taking it. anywho, feel free to ask any questions! use the search to :)
g0t_slack

I'm a computer geek, not a car guy...

Post by g0t_slack »

Yeah, no turbo here... I meant the thing that cool the transmission fluid.

I'm bacially new to cars. Most I"ve done is change an alternator, and attempted to change the headgasket in my 92 saab 900s, but that was pretty much a joke.

Your linux server down? then I can help,
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Hehe, you mean transmission cooler! what u have a auto?
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

:throwup:
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

Best peice of advice we can give you if you have a auto, as far as that is concerned is: READ THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FORUM!

Trust me, you'll be glad you did if you have not yet. And yes! Get a tranny cooler, and make sure to check the color of your tranny fluid from time to time as well and stay up on the fluid and filter changes for it as well.
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared
g0t_slack

Post by g0t_slack »

Yeah, automatic.
I've read the tranny section, change, don't flush. get cooler.

So what else can I do for some added performance?

I'm going to get a new air intake and exhaust to start with.
Any suggestions on brands?
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Hey welcome to the board. Sounds like you are paying attention to the auto tranny first thing - good move. For better intake, you could drop in a K&N panel filter into the stock airbox. http://www.knfilters.com/search/product ... od=33-2083 The p/n 33-2083 is for your engine model. It's a cotton-wire-mesh type of oiled freeflowing filter that will increase throttle responsiveness and give ya a bit more power from 2000+ rpm to ~4500 rpm. Or, get one of the sohc MX-3 cold air intakes on ebay for ~$60 USD shipped. http://search.ebay.com/mx3-cold-air_W0Q ... QQfromZR40 Others have reported they are a decent fit and produce effects similar to the K&N. I have one coming for my 1.6 dohc to modify a bit & pair up with a PRM cold air intake if space permits. http://www.corksport.com is a site you might visit for some modding ideas too.

Modifying exhaust - recommended to talk to a local exhaust shop 'cause it's usually the least expensive best way to get something that fits. i.e., when you find an aftermarket muffler ya like - buy it, take it to a shop for the pipework and welding to be done.
Image -Jim
g0t_slack

Post by g0t_slack »

thanks alot... you guys are super helpful.

I'm seeing these mufflers on ebay for <$20 bucks.... are these worth a damn??
Looking on other sites (i.e. corksport) I see the same sort of thing going for >$80.

I'm guessing this is a 'get what you pay for' sitiuation.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

I started w/a muffler and axle-back 2" I.D. stainless steel mandrel bent pipe already TIG welded together w/all hardware included (made for a GS but I modded the intermediate pipe to mate it for the RS). Got it on ebay for $140 USD shipped last yr. The muffler was sorta generic looking with a spot welded tag ID'ing the manu. & model as "Prokit I Racing" muffler. The generic aspect bothered me but the pic showed some pretty fine TIG welding and heavy duty gauge polished stainless end-to-end. It also had a removable silencer, which I wanted.

Still unsure but also interested, ended up checking the seller's past sales and emailed a previous buyer & MX-3 owner (Clive, in UK) of the exact same item. Clive was kind enough to send a detailed description of his impressions - strongly positive - and sent me several pics from dif angles of it installed along with his description of how loud/quiet it was. I'm cautious about some ebay generic looking stuff but if you're careful, you can find something solid that way. Would also recommend a BB search and see what other SOHC owners have liked... or not.
Image -Jim
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: New Guy

Post by jschrauwen »

g0t_slack wrote:I just got an 93 MX3, electric blue, or whatever varation of teal it's called...
It's in awesome shape, 166k miles... paid 1700 for it.
So, Ive been reading up around here, and I guess I should get an intercooler right away. That seems to be important with these.
What are some other (Failry cheap) upgrades I can do to make this 4banger go faster?
Welcome to the BB. Good to see your reading some of the other forums before posing questions. Your still asking questions that have already been answered (a few times over). You would do yourself and others that try to help you a world of good by doing a complete listing of what you have, what has been done and all other items that are specific to your car. Since your very computer savy, this should be a breeze to do an indepth description in your profile (signature portion) as well as where you live etc. Use mine for example....if I pose a question, those that try to help will know the year, model and all the mods to my car every time so that their answers will be based on all available data - computer term. They will also know where I live in case someone that lives near can help or someone can direct you to the closest available help, not to mention since you will be doing a fair bit of purchasing to "mod" your car, knowing where you live can help when it comes to shipping issues.
If there's one thing that bothers me it's people that try to be illusive and secretive and it's always a struggle to ask the same questions over and over again....what year, 4 or 6 cyl, ATX or MTX, etc etc etc.
So endeth the sermon....*as John gets off his soapbox and almost trips and falls...that'll teach me to pipe up*.....LOL
Welcome again, Got Slack.

PS Search function is very impressive and reveals a multitude of excellent data - there's that word again....LOL
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

Yep, you're part of the family now g0t_slack !!
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared
esmacmil

Post by esmacmil »

welcome aboard :)
Dominicanchu_Nmbr1

Post by Dominicanchu_Nmbr1 »

the mx-3 is the best headache you will ever have! hmm... maybe that didn't come out right :roll:
-=[Irving A.]=-

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”