Crank Pulley Bolt

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Crank Pulley Bolt

Post by schuttie2002 »

Alrighty folks, Im kinda in a jam. I've been ordering parts like crazy and I finally have gotten around to putting on the timing belt and water pump on my new engine(2.5 DE) and I cant get the Crank Pulley off, maily because I cant get that bolt off. I know for a car that has the engine in it, you just set the parking brake, but it in gear, and you'll be able to loosen the bolt. Unfortunately my engine is sitting on a pallet in my garage. Any one have any suggestions. I tried screwing in two 10m bolts to the pulley but all that did was bend that bolts when i put a lot of tq. behind my breaker bar.

If anyone has the special tool from mazda required for this, and I cant come up with any suggestions, I would pay you to ship and let me borrow the tool. Thanks guys
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

You need a 250Lb's Plus rattle gun, either hire a electric one
or hire a pnuematic one with a decent compressor,

My setup is a small compressor but attached to the resevoure tank
is a secondary tank, can take some pic's tomorrow if you like.

The 2 10mm boltholes are for pushing the pulley off the taper once
you have removed the pulley bolt..

And yes they are on REAL! tight!! the pulley bolt that is...
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

I was in the same boat as you... what we did was jammed the flywheel with a screwdriver (through the hole for the starter), grabbed a prybar, put a 4 foot pipe on the end of the prybar and heaved on the crank bolt. Took 2 minutes.

She's a tight one. Think about it, since the motor's creation this is prolly her first time :lol:
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

You risk bending the flywheel if you torque against it like that. I suggest getting a impact wrench of some sort and remove it that way. The correct way to do it is to use a flywheel holder and then use a breaker bar to get the crank bolt off. The flywheel holder is not a very expensive tool. Check JC Whitney or Jegs or someother place like that for prices.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

I had the same problem, my engine was on my garage floor (no flywheel though) I took a 3-4ft piece of steel rod, drilled 2 holes through it, and bolted it in 2 of the flywheel holes. Turn the crank nut and once the bar presses on the ground, the crank will not turn anymore and you are set.

I tried everything, i was by myself though.

Hope that makes sence.

g/l
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

all these ideas are great guys, I'm sure Ill be able to get it off now when I get back around to it. Thanks for all the replies
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

Hey guys I used the impact wrenches and the thing came right off so thanks for the tips
georgechicken

Post by georgechicken »

Good to see you got it loose... this suggestion is for someone with less access to air tools... If you have tried all else and the motor keeps turning, if you have an old clutch sitting around (one that you dont mind breaking), then you can bolt the pressure plate on to the flywheel, and jam a prybar in there (put the clutch disc in to prevent scarring of the flywheel by wayward prying mechanisms...) and turn against the torquing of the bolt.. just make sure you properly support the motor and make sure that you and your helper have something soft to fall onto... motors are most uncomfortable when they're upon your being. Trust me on this one... They feel heavier than they look... :) good luck, and play safely!

Daniel
--Maybe the Hippopotamus was just a really cool Apotamus.--

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”