Changing Timing belt HELP

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mpertz

Changing Timing belt HELP

Post by mpertz »

I have a 92 MX3 V6. The timing belt needs to be changed. What exactly do I need to do everything, do I change just the belt or everything like even the tensoner. Somone told me I need to change the water pump too. I'm not exactly sure what to do, Anyone ever change a belt on this car who can explain what I need or anyone who knows. :?:
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

You dont "Have" to do the water pump or anything else if you dont want too.. however.. since you will be taking that side of the engine apart anyway.. its a good idea to replace your water pump, tensioner pully and your friction gear as well. While you dont have to do this stuff.. its a little piece of mind to know that its all done and you wont have to work on any of those things for a long time to come. Best of luck.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
sinhron

Post by sinhron »

If it's not broken don't fix it
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

That is bull crap, I always fix something if I'm in there and it is alot easier to do it while I'm there instead of going back after it breaks. It will take a few hours the first itime you do a timing belt and the second time it should be half that, but why do all that work and have to do it again when the water pump craps out. All mechanics will tell you to replace the water pump when doing a timing belt. Preventative maintenance is also a good way to make sure you aren't stuck on the side of the road. Change the water pump at least, they leak and break, both will cause the death of a K8 pretty quick. Make sure to change the seal too.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

PATDIESEL wrote:
That is bull crap, I always fix something if I'm in there and it is alot easier to do it while I'm there instead of going back after it breaks. It will take a few hours the first itime you do a timing belt and the second time it should be half that, but why do all that work and have to do it again when the water pump craps out. All mechanics will tell you to replace the water pump when doing a timing belt. Preventative maintenance is also a good way to make sure you aren't stuck on the side of the road. Change the water pump at least, they leak and break, both will cause the death of a K8 pretty quick. Make sure to change the seal too.
amen to that
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I guess you have never heard the old saying "An ounce of prevention equals a pound of cure" Well with car maintenance.. you wont find a more accurate truism.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

gfreire

Post by gfreire »

At how many km's should i change the belts. Right now am at 104k, roughly how long do they last before they go, i dont want them to break on me but i also dont got the time right now to get them changed. Also anyone know a good mechanic here in toronto, that aint that expensive but knows what he is doing. Alot of mechanics do some really crap jobs.
On the probe i changed them at 120k when i bought it, i did tensioner, water pump, belts, all that stuff except the friction gear, the mechanic never told me about that. And then at 166k the friction gear went, freakin loud as hell, so i just got a ZE. Definatelly change that friction gear its loud as hell and annoying.
[FS] Carbon Fiber Alteza Tail Lights used
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54541
[FS] 17' Motegi DP6 Hyper Black rims
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54497
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Off the top of my head.. I dont know how long the timing belts in the MX-3's various engines are rated for.. in my subaru they were supposed to be changed at about 60k miles (but I always got 80k out of them before I did the job twice) Check the online shop manual.. you will likely find the answer there in the maintenance section. Best of luck.

Tunes67

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”