Fiberglass ?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
93SOHC

Fiberglass ?

Post by 93SOHC »

It's a little early to ask, but I need info real soon regaurdless: Got my GS wing from ScooterBovine today and guess what? It's friggin broken in half!!! I Pm'd him, so i'm not sure whats gonna happen with the whole deal, but I wondered if it could be fiberglassed back together. Its broken nearly in the exact middle of the thing. I just am worried that the seam wont be level with the rest of it. This is the second broken GS wing I have purchased, and it's really down to the wire. It has to be on and painted before May 21st MX-3 meet :twisted:
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
ertaisi

Post by ertaisi »

Hmm, never really thought about it, is the spoiler fiberglass or urethane or what? As long as it's not metal, I'd think you should be able to make it match if you were careful.

Although our spoilers aren't exactly functional, I don't know if fiberglass would be strong enough to resist the greatest portion of the downforce felt by the spoiler on the interstate at 90 mph. I wonder if there's any way you could bond the internal surfaces of the spoiler together to reinforce it?
'95 RS: RIP
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

givin if the spoiler is fiberglass, it shouldnt be a problem holding up to speeds, and shouldnt be a problem to fiberglass back together.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

The spoiler is indeed urethane. Not only will the fix have to hold up to driving conditions but will also have to take a beating from my subwoofer in the trunk. Any sugestions?
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

Sorry to hear that, bro. I know where one is (or was a couple months ago) at a yard around here. It's in good shape and it's teal too. I'll be going back there next week to get some interior pieces, and I'll let you know if it's still there. Actually, I'm hoping to buy the whole car off him if he'll let me (doubt it though).
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Seeing as how the wing doesn't hang off the car (well besides the small rear protion) it should be ok to fiberglass it together. Make sure to use plenty of resin b/c if you don't when you sand it you'll see fiberglass hairs that won't sand out. Make sure when you repair it to sand the urethane about 12" from each side of the crack and fill the sanded protion with fiberglass. The fiberglass patch should be about 1/8-1/16 higher than the spoiler to be able to sand it down to flat. Remember that fiberglass shrinks alittle when it dries. Also when sanding the urethane be careful not to sand the back edge off, sand by hand and do not go over the edge, but just up to it. Do this on the top and the rear side.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

you cant fix urethane with fiberglass, although theres special urethane glue out there, like 40/40 itll do the job
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Teal_93

Post by Teal_93 »

Jay, I have one that I have on ebay right now. It's was off my parts car. It is the same color as the bumper I sold you, but it has clear coat peeling. If you'd be interested, you know how to find me.

I need to know if you want it before there is a bid put on it, so I can cancell the auction.

Later, Cory
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

Today I tried sticking it together w/ epoxy, but it busted when I put it on. I have it mounted on the car right now. I am just gonna go ahead and fiberglass it with it on the car, as it would be hard to make sure it was exactly in the right spot while off the car. I am doing this Saturday morning, so we'll see what happens. I still have yet to hear from the seller either. I will let you know if I need yours, Cory. Will PM you tomarrow afternoon. If thats to late, no biggie. If I can't get this crap to work out, i'm just gonna buy a brand new Combat gtr wing, :twisted:
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

people need to frickin learn how to ship stuff.

shipping involves the thing being loaded/unloaded a few times, heavy things stacked on top, etc.

Don't just pack stuff loosely in a box without cushionig it with peanuts or newspapers! It isn't hard to find some free advertisement newspaper and rip off 30 of them & use them for packaging. I use my schools newspaper b/c no one picks it up lol.

i got a brand new aeromotor AFPR and liquid filled fp guage from some guy on probetalk and the assclown shoved them both in a priority mail box with NO PACKAGING...they collided with each other a million times & are now all scratched up and shitty looking.

grrr!!!! :twisted: :oops:
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

I don't really wanna sound like an a-hole here, because he Gave me the Spoiler for the cost of shipping. But I figued for $20 in shipping it would at least cover some bubble wrap. I am about to go get the fiberglass and other BS, so i'll take some progress pics and post em up in a few hours.
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

Update: I fiberglassed the underside and used fiberglass filler to fill in the crack on the outside while it was mounted to the hatch. I got as far as wet sanding the primer when it began to look like rain(typical) Looks pretty damn good for an ameture like myself(I have used fiberglass all of 3 times in my life) Hopefully if the weather holds up tomarrow I will spend another hour masking :x and get the actual paint and clear done! Still have yet to here from Jason(scooterbovine)
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

If I could only write swear words on this forum!!! All was well until I went to get a late lunch across town. When I returned I looked at it again and...Cracked!!! Musta been the bass or something. I think the big problem is that the stock wing is urethane and is meant to flex a bit, but fiberglass is solid as a rock. I give up. I'm gonna try and find a hatch garnish and save up and order a brand new combat GTR wing. Atleast if that one comes broken I can send it back. Now the only problem is getting a hatch garnish to my house without that being broken...I guess someone is just trying to tell me i'm not meant to have a GS wing on my car. After this much time, waiting, money, and work, I guess I can take a hint. Everything happens for a reason! :roll:

Return to “Appearance”