klze intake ports

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
shawno

klze intake ports

Post by shawno »

I have a klze i hope but i was wondering if anyone could send or post up pics of the difference in looks between the j spec there the square ports and the, american ports with are D shape or oval.
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

This is a straight neck klze:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=33615
This is a curved neck klze:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... egory=6755
This is a klde:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... ename=WD1V

The klde has more oval shaped runners and has a short straight neck
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

also remember that there is a curved neck klde from a millenia which externally looks the exact same as a curved neck klze.
millaj01

Post by millaj01 »

mxmaz wrote:also remember that there is a curved neck klde from a millenia which externally looks the exact same as a curved neck klze.
:x Of course, I thought I had done all the proper research and taken the proper precautions in looking for marknigs when I bought my engine from Noyan. Now that I've posted pics, specs, etc., it appears I may have gotten one of these 'phantom KLZE' engines......which is really a KLDE Millenia engine. (see tail end of my KLZE swap/Pile O' Stuff post)

I know Gro mentioned the TB markings as a check....is there anything I can use to tell definitively what engine I really have? The engine I've got has intake manifold w/squared runners, KL31-101/KL31-1A1 heads, KL01 cams, and KL on the block. Besides the TB, what else? I thought I had things covered.

Perhaps more importantly, if it ends up being a Millenia KLDE, and the hassle/rework involved in exchanging this engine doesn't appear worth it to me and I decide to keep it (the engine itself is superclean and has already had work done on it) ....well, what position am I left in? I have a KL31 ECU, headers that fit, JE50 VAF from my K8, etc. What parts would I need to combine to get this engine to run well? If it'll run well, I might just suck it up and keep it....it'd be a different story if I was doing the work myself.
'93 MX-3 GS Image
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

millaj01 wrote:
mxmaz wrote:also remember that there is a curved neck klde from a millenia which externally looks the exact same as a curved neck klze.
:x Of course, I thought I had done all the proper research and taken the proper precautions in looking for marknigs when I bought my engine from Noyan. Now that I've posted pics, specs, etc., it appears I may have gotten one of these 'phantom KLZE' engines......which is really a KLDE Millenia engine. (see tail end of my KLZE swap/Pile O' Stuff post)

I know Gro mentioned the TB markings as a check....is there anything I can use to tell definitively what engine I really have? The engine I've got has intake manifold w/squared runners, KL31-101/KL31-1A1 heads, KL01 cams, and KL on the block. Besides the TB, what else? I thought I had things covered.

Perhaps more importantly, if it ends up being a Millenia KLDE, and the hassle/rework involved in exchanging this engine doesn't appear worth it to me and I decide to keep it (the engine itself is superclean and has already had work done on it) ....well, what position am I left in? I have a KL31 ECU, headers that fit, JE50 VAF from my K8, etc. What parts would I need to combine to get this engine to run well? If it'll run well, I might just suck it up and keep it....it'd be a different story if I was doing the work myself.
check lakersfans post in this thread http://mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=41840
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

millaj01 wrote:

Using a flashlight to look inside the actual cylinders to see if the pistons are flat-topped and not dished. Dished = lower compression KLDE crap, flat = 10:1 klze stuff.

hard to really tell thru such a small sparkplug opening tho, but it is possible
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

If you can wait till tomorrow i will post a pic of the
KLZE port's

They are very square with 10mm raduis corners.

Also my cam's have KL31 stamped on them
this motor is out of a eunos 800
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
shawno

Post by shawno »

if u can post the pics of the port that would be great in goin to check the ports and the piston so if the piston is flat KLze and dished KLDE
shawno

Post by shawno »

if u can post the pics of the port that would be great in goin to check the ports and the piston so if the piston is flat KLze and dished KLDE
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

Front rear bank port hence why its quite curved on
one side.

Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
KimmiKim

Post by KimmiKim »

what does a "kl31" stamped on the tb mean? i bid on this engine STUPIDLY before i learned about this common mixup. the guys were nice though, they're going to pull the plugs and wires and shine a flashlight down to see the piston shape after they eat lunch. i really hope its a curved neck klze...
-Kim

1993 MX-3 GS in Raspberry Metallic
...awaiting swap...
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

pic of a KLZE piston.
shawno

Post by shawno »

ok so the pic of the port is a square port and the pic of the piston has dishes i was led to belive that the klze engine had a flat piston and the klde engine had the dishes
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

shawno wrote:ok so the pic of the port is a square port and the pic of the piston has dishes i was led to belive that the klze engine had a flat piston and the klde engine had the dishes
Those 'dishes' are actually providing clearance for the valves. Because with the ZE the piston is extremely close to the head at Top Dead Center. Which gives you the high compression numbers. The KLDE piston looks like like a bowl in the middle.
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
shawno

Post by shawno »

so klzs pistons are flat with four cut out marks for the pistons and the KLDE has the dish or the ring around the piston with the point in the middle. so A klZE for sure will have the flat top with 4 grooves and and the KLDE will for sure have a ring can they be mixed up at all.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”