my 02 sensors story

A Forum For Ontario MX-3 Club Related Topics.
drewleedham

my 02 sensors story

Post by drewleedham »

so my mechanic is busy for the next couple of days, so i decided i'd look into it and see if replacing my o2 sensors was something i could do myself. so i got part of the intake off to do the front one first figuring it would definately be easier to do.

then i try using my little screw driver with a socket on it to take off something else and it the thing snaps. so i gave up, realizing that even if i get enough stuff out of the way (i can see the sensor down there), it looks like it would take a lot of anti-seize and a lot of work, IF i had the right size socket/wrench and IF i had any anti-seize in my garage (i don't have another car to use right now) to even get it moving.

can anyone help me? i called a place here in waterdown and they said it might take them an hour per sensor (if there were no problems and it wasn't seized) and their labour rate is 79 bucks an hour.

i don't know what i'm looking for really, maybe someone from hamilton to come up and do it for/with me for some cash and some beers?
FOR SALE: 93 MX-3 SE
Too much Time

Post by Too much Time »

Uh, drew,

All you need to take the o2 sensors off is a 22 wrench and and uncomfortable position.

That's it. for both.

Also, I read an article off this hardcore racing site that cleaned the sensors with a propane torch. This burned everything off them and there remain useful.

This might save you a lot of anguish and money.......
You can do your research on the burning, but I think you are going about this the wrong way.

If I was closer, I'd drop off the hood, motor and do it for you for those beers.

Good luck with that
95 240sx S14 - Yes, I go Sideways
Teal_93

Post by Teal_93 »

I just removed my O2 sensors today getting ready to put on my headers.

If you have been driving the car recently they should be fairly easy to get out. It is easier to get the O2 sensors out from underneath the car. So if you have a jack & some jackstands it can be done.

I used a long 7/8" wrench, (metric wrench would work too, but I didn't have one that big). If needed warm the car up a little first before trying to loosen them.

What I did was turn the wrench to tighten it & then loosen it. It seemed to break them loose for me. I got both of mine out within 10 minutes.

You cannot use a socket on them because of the wires.
drewleedham

yeah

Post by drewleedham »

aww, yeah it's too bad you're far away. i don't have jacks either. i suppose i could try using my spare tire jack from the trunk...

i noticed that you can't use a socket, i was using it to take stuff of to clear a path. i don't have a wrench set around though unfortunately. even if i could get them both off though, i was thinking though that even if i got them off, i'd have to switch the harness over, wouldn't i? since i bought universal sensors.

oh, and i didn't see the 2nd sensor when i took a quick look. i'm not really sure where it is actually. the one that i found is the front one. i took out part of the intake tubing and it was down below, right behind the rad.
Teal_93

Post by Teal_93 »

The other one is back behind the motor close to the bottom of the exhaust, hence why it is easier to get from under the car.

You could use the spare tire jack but don't get underneath the car without jack stands supporting the car for Safety purposes.
drewleedham

yeah

Post by drewleedham »

so i don't have jack stands, which is why i'm not under the car now.

what to do, what to do...
sk8erdude28

Post by sk8erdude28 »

Teal_93 wrote:
You cannot use a socket on them because of the wires.
Sure you can. It's called an O2 Sensor Socket.
drewleedham

uh huh

Post by drewleedham »

i don't have a 7/8"s wrench. you think i have an o2 sensor socket?! hehe
Teal_93

Post by Teal_93 »

Well the actual wrench is a 22mm but I didn't have one so i just used a 7/8" wrench.
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

you can get jack stands for like 10 bucks. Its an inexpensive thing that you need to buy if you're gonna do any work on your car
bandito

Post by bandito »

use some wood and bricks. probably not the safest but just an idea....maybe you shouldn't try that on second thought...
Too much Time

Post by Too much Time »

Drew, drop by walmart. you can get good stands for like 15 plus tax for both.

Man, just drive up, get these parts outta here and I'll do it for you.
Then we'll enjoy that beer you'll buy me :wink: ...maybe some good burgers too!

Serious, it's not that bad.

AND GET A WRENCH SET!! absolute necessity
drewleedham

yeah

Post by drewleedham »

i've never really done enough of my own work on my car to warrant buying tools of any kind.

raf, i can't drive up there with the mx3 because i can't get a trip permit for it.

if i can jack it up and get the old sensors off, is it easy enough to hook up the universal sensors?
Too much Time

Post by Too much Time »

it might take you half an hour, but that's about it.
You really did more work than you had to, not bad, just more work.

Buy stands and wrenchs, like 40 bucks if you get a good deal. Actually, walmart has a jack and 2 stands for like 40 bucks. Pick it up, you won't regret it.
Remember, 22m wrench.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Drew.. you need to start somewhere if you intend to do any of your own car work. The thing I think you need most is a bit of confidence. Its not brain surgery and no one will die if you mess something up.. Buy a decent set of tools.. and hit a junkyard.. spend a day just ripping the shite outta any car you can.. (A wrecked MX-3 would be best of course) This way you can see how things come apart and who knows.. you might even find some stuff you can use. Its all about getting your hands dirty and busting your knuckles ;) Though some people like to wear surgical gloves when working on cars.. heh.. wimps ;) j/k LOL Best of luck man.

Tunes67

Return to “Ontario MX-3 Club”