Raising Power Window

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
aliefj96

Raising Power Window

Post by aliefj96 »

My driver side power window is stuck in the down position.

For now I'd like to get it closed as it rains very often here this time of year. How can I do this manualy?

I was told when I bought the car that the power window switch was out on the drivers side. Figured how much could a new one cost? Way too much. So I procrastinated. Now I wanna fix it, but am low on dough.

When I was messing with the switch today I could hear some motor noise when pressing the button down to open, even though it had no room to travel. When lifted up on the switch to raise there is no noise at all.

second question. Is it the motor or the switch?

any answers or additional information would be greatly appreciated.

I just bought this car recently and thoroughly enjoy the driving experience. I'd just like to stay dry while on the road.

j
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

to temporarily fix it, until you find good switch, take contact to power window motor and touch to 12 V source, itll raise it either up or down, and to go other way up or down just change polarity.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
aliefj96

Post by aliefj96 »

I wasn't sure on how exactly to do that, but after i tried i did hear a slight click when lifting the switch up. There was no movement and the sound was brief and faint.

Is there no manual way to raise the window?

I'm not too good with the electrical side of cars. I've fixed all kinds of other things in the past. Usually replaced electrical parts.
Wilhelm_Fink

Post by Wilhelm_Fink »

Hi, i had the same problem mid winter, Mazda dealer fixed it for £120 ($200ish), it was the switch (needed replacing) and NOT the motor as i first thought.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

aliefj96 wrote:Is there no manual way to raise the window?
Not that I'm aware of. After removing door panel, I would try to clean the window track/runner as best as possible. After that lube liberally with some silicone spray into both tracks, until it literally oozes out of the bottom of the door. Wait a little while for it work it's way between the window and the part of the track that it is in. You may need a second pair of hands for this, with you're switch still connected to the window motor have someone select the up feature while you try to pull up on the window. Do not use too much force when pulling on the window. If unsuccessful, try lubing and waiting again and possibly give mitmaks suggestion a try at the same time. Hope this helps.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I have a schematic on how the power control box is wired up on the drivers side, i can find it if you need it, but i doubt that it will help you in this situation

Ahh, here is it:
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Thats an excelent diagram there! thats how I did it when I didnt have a switch, I found myself using 2 wires to roll windows down and up, then a nice lady gave me a free switch for helping her post pics of her parted out car :D
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I really had no choice to figure it out. I ended up pickup up the passenger side switch off of ebay since I'm gonna change my driver side door pannel to a passenger side style (but shipping is INSANE on a panel), over the summer, must have been the hottest days of the year, the plastic part in the switch failed, allowing me to only put down the window, pulling the switch to go up, the plastic stub would flex, not close the contacts, not giving power for the window to go up. It took me 2 days to figure it out, first I had to figure out what the switch itself did, than i had to figure out which wire went to what, than how to wire up the switch to that circuit. Pain in the butt when your under pressure to get it fixed, otherwise your literally sweating your arse off cause I don't have A/C or a sunroof. It does make sence afterwards, but I'm glad it's figured out, and apparently these switches are prone to failure, so it'll be handy for everyone.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”