K8 power figures. been Dyno'd

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Pedro_mx3
Supporting Member

K8 power figures. been Dyno'd

Post by Pedro_mx3 »

right guys, i been thru the search and nobody says what i wanted to find out, What are the STOCK power and torque figures for a '92 V6 MX-3? i had my MX dyno'd today and made 131.8bhp and 127.6ft/lbs of torque. i thought it was 128bhp and 118ft/lbs of torque, am i right?

cheers for ur help chaps!!

Also, being as im in england would anything like putting KL-ZE cams into my K8 help power? or any other tips to gain more power? i have a PiperX filter, magnecor KV85 leads, an Ecotek valve and a powerflow cat back exhaust.
I'm not worried about the bullet with my name on, Im worried about the one that says 'To Whom it may Concern'....

Make a Donation, Keep Mx3.com Alive!!

1991 V6 K8 -- My baby, i miss her... On her way to car heaven... <3
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Your 1.8 liter dynoed that high? Was this an engine dyno, or wheel dyno? Kinda hard to belive that was a wheel dyno since rated HP was between 132 and 140 HP for K8's.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

can you post dyno sheet?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
dewthis

Post by dewthis »

Isn't bhp crank horsepower?
A-Spec is 131, J-Spec is around 137. Could be wrong on the J-Spec but its close.
65 shot > V8
Pedro_mx3
Supporting Member

Post by Pedro_mx3 »

i think power at the wheels was 106bhp or something like that, ill try an post dyno sheet when i can scan it :?
so do those figures sound weird? i just had it dyno'd to find out what i had really, wasnt expecting much from my K8 but with bolt ons maybe more than that!
I'm not worried about the bullet with my name on, Im worried about the one that says 'To Whom it may Concern'....

Pedro_mx3
Supporting Member

Post by Pedro_mx3 »

Image[/img]

well this is what i got anyway, u can see how the torque is all over the place, he said i could need a new fuel filter or my injectors require cleaning. as you can see my torque is running out quite early.
one think he did mention is that my powerflow exhaust system will be losing me some power.

:twisted: :twisted: MY MIGHTY K8!!!! lol :twisted: :twisted:

Dave-UK-MX3-V6-SE

Post by Dave-UK-MX3-V6-SE »

106.11bhp at the wheels, I win! :D
Mazda MX-3 Limited Edition
1845cc V6 DOHC
Custom ICE Installation
http://www.destr0yer.net/car-sig.jpg <-- click!
Pedro_mx3
Supporting Member

Post by Pedro_mx3 »

am i right in believing that the SE's did come with aa little more bhp? so any ideas on why im down on power?

lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Pedro_mx3 wrote:am i right in believing that the SE's did come with aa little more bhp? so any ideas on why im down on power?
Not in the States. And corksport.com also did a dyno some time ago. I think they pulled like a 109 whp.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Pedro_mx3 wrote: well this is what i got anyway, u can see how the torque is all over the place, he said i could need a new fuel filter or my injectors require cleaning. as you can see my torque is running out quite early.
I don't think so. That torque curve looks somewhat similar to the one in the Online Manual Page F2-100. Peaking at about 5,000 rpm is about right. The dips are at the VRIS change points - yours are at slightly different rpm values, which is surprising.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Pedro_mx3
Supporting Member

Post by Pedro_mx3 »

so could dirty injectors or fuel filter be a factor? or maybe getting my car tuned on a rolling road? im not particularly worried about making MORE power, jus making what my engine should be making.
i was also told by mazda that i could have a suspect head gasket as my coolant was low when i had it serviced, there isnt any water in my oil or visa versa. any other ways of telling? apart from pulling it apart. i used a fuel system cleaner today to see and it felt smoother up the revs. the little push i used to feel at 3500rpms is more subtle now and it pulls a little better from lower revs. could this be the imagination of a mad man?

and yes the torque curve is surprisingly similar but at different revs... unusual

UKMX-3

Post by UKMX-3 »

I think ur cars just old mate...mines is a 97 1.8 and it dyno last year at 135.5 BHp ( not a the wheels )
andy

Post by andy »

sounds like your concerned about something being wrong with the motor.
I think your numbers are right on the money.
your only power making mod I see is the exhaust. I'm Not familiar with
the ecotek valve or the filter your using.
To compliment the exhaust you might want to consider a bored Tb and cold air intake. Maybe some Phenolic spacers to help with heat soak.
If your feeling like a bigger change then maybe a klze intake and Tb.

I'm not sure what if any gains can be had with the klze cams. I was under the impression that the klde cams were more agressive anyways.
Might need more research on that one.

As for the VRIS points. Try adjusting the TPS. I found that changes in the output voltage would have a slight effect on how the vris felt. The lower the voltage the more I would notice the Vris, higher voltage= less noticable. If you use the fan method make sure the fan is off before tightening the screws down. Make sure you have the ten and ground pin jumpered.

Andy P. 93 GS
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

i tought ground and ten was for cel..not tps.. i forgot the one for tps..it states on the manual.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Pedro_mx3
Supporting Member

Post by Pedro_mx3 »

So can i use any KL-ZE parts like TB or cams to get a little boost? im not really right on the money for a swap now an insurance in england sucks a-- anyway.
Ill have to look up the TPS method as ive never done it before, im not looking for problems with the motor, i jus wanna get the best efficiency possible!! :oops:

Cheers for ur help guys!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”