CRATE engines??

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
93-Spec-Edn

CRATE engines??

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

Hi'

I read a while ago u could get the KL-DE crate engine. Anyone know if these r still going around. I have decided instead of the ze i want a de and i want to go new as i plan on keeping the car.

thanks
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I looked on thier site last week, and it looks like they're all gone. :(
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

whats a krate engine? lol sorry but I imagine its the stock klde?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

basically a brand new engine that comes in a crate or very large box.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

lakersfan1 wrote:I looked on thier site last week, and it looks like they're all gone. :(
Damn that sucks. You have any other ideas where to get one? I honestly dont believe this BS that 10 year old used engines have 30,000km. If I swap my perfectly running K8 for more power I want something new and reliable.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

It is kinda beleivable, In Japan they can only drive a certian amount of KM's before they either have to pay a ridiculous amount of polution taxes or just get a new engine (which is much cheaper), that why we have a Japanese domestic market. But ya around here ya never know the KM's...
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

there is a place located in Calgary that sells jdm engines. Site is jdmsource.ca and i think a guy on this site works there. I'd just hand pick an engine there, you'll know exactly what your getting before hand and no shipping costs.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Down here in Washington state.. I have purchased a total of 5 crate engines for either myself or for friends cars. Including the recent engine I just bought for my Mazda B2000 Extended cab pickup.. every one of these engines was advertised at less than 35000 miles from local japanese engine importers and every one of these engines was more or less a POS. See in Japan they know they are going to have to get rid of their engines at 30k miles.. so they dont bother to maintain them at all.. no oil changes or spark plugs, belts, hoses etc.. My truck engine is a good example.. the Cam and rockers were pretty much trashed.. fortunately I had a spare head with decent parts so I was able to assemble a good setup. And I got lucky on the bottom end.. no appreciable wear (I figure this is because it had more oil flowing around it even if it was dirty oil) The only time I would recommend buying a used crate motor would be if it was the ONLY thing you could find and then I would assume I was going to have to do more than a little work on it to make it usable and reliable. Just my 2 cents...

Tunes67
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

Tunes67 wrote:Down here in Washington state.. I have purchased a total of 5 crate engines for either myself or for friends cars. Including the recent engine I just bought for my Mazda B2000 Extended cab pickup.. every one of these engines was advertised at less than 35000 miles from local japanese engine importers and every one of these engines was more or less a POS. See in Japan they know they are going to have to get rid of their engines at 30k miles.. so they dont bother to maintain them at all.. no oil changes or spark plugs, belts, hoses etc.. My truck engine is a good example.. the Cam and rockers were pretty much trashed.. fortunately I had a spare head with decent parts so I was able to assemble a good setup. And I got lucky on the bottom end.. no appreciable wear (I figure this is because it had more oil flowing around it even if it was dirty oil) The only time I would recommend buying a used crate motor would be if it was the ONLY thing you could find and then I would assume I was going to have to do more than a little work on it to make it usable and reliable. Just my 2 cents...

Tunes67
I 100% agree with u. This is why i am reluctant to buy a klze. I have seen and read the horror stories on here. Also in japan the driving conditions r mainly heavy traffic which is harder in the engine. Also the weather is very humid and hot. I will only swap a KLDE and if its new or i know some history on the car and i pull it out myself.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

If it's not brand new, it's not a crate engine.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I'd have to disagree with that statement.. I wish that was the case.. But around here the "Crate" term is used to describe any engine that is delivered in a box. It can be used from Japan or a Remanufactured Engine or even a Spanking new OEM engine.

Tunes67
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

Tunes67 wrote:I'd have to disagree with that statement.. I wish that was the case.. But around here the "Crate" term is used to describe any engine that is delivered in a box. It can be used from Japan or a Remanufactured Engine or even a Spanking new OEM engine.

Tunes67
If I remember correctly Lakersfan informed me of these engines. They were definately brand new, you could tell from the pics and the website said as well they were never installed ford probe v6 motors.
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

were these probe engines "New Old Stock"?
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

There are ways you can exercise caution about the crate engine you buy. First.. make sure you speak the same language as the person selling you the engine. I know this sounds funny.. but when my buddy was buying an engine for his civic neither of us could understand 1/2 of what the guy was saying and he couldnt understand us either. Second.. a lot of places advertise their engines as "Fully Tested" Well if this is the case.. they should have no issues with you yanking the valve cover off on the spot to take a look at the oil varnish build up and or cam/valve/lifter wear. This comes back to the speaking the same language thing.. we couldnt make the sales man or the shop hand understand that this was something we wanted to do to make sure the engine was in good condition.. see they will offer these 12,000 mile/ 1 year warranties and even the worst engine they get will indeed go that far for at least that long.. but probably not that much further.. so if they wont let you do a detailed inspection of the engine prior to buying it.. they have something to hide and I wouldnt trust them.. Doing a compression test on an engine that is out of a car is not easy to do.. but can be done and should be done if at all possible. Some of the more reputable places will even have done a compression check and have the numbers available for you to check. Usually these engines cost a LOT more cash though and are harder to find. Three.. make sure that the engine you are buying is indeed the same block as the engine you are replacing... The engine I bought for my truck was advertised as the same... and indeed upon casual inspection looked like the same long block.. but when we started going through the engine we discovered that though the long block was the same.. Mazda had changed how the water pump was attached on the engine. On my truck the entire pump bolted to the front of the long block, on the new engine.. the had changed it so that the water pump housing was actually part of the block casting and all you did was replace the impeller assembly if the pump went bad (which is actually a better setup) but they also changed how the radiator hose & heater core hose attached to the different water pump.. as a result.. it took me 3 weeks of bone yard diving to dig up a water neck that I could modify & fabricate into something that would function (and this wouldnt have been possible for me except for my uncle the machinist). Basically.. buying any used engine is a crap shoot.. but if you are careful and well.. even a bit on the anal side.. you can buy used.. just got to learn from my mistakes ;)

Tunes67
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

If I remember correctly Lakersfan informed me of these engines. They were definately brand new, you could tell from the pics and the website said as well they were never installed ford probe v6 motors.
I am not speaking of these engines specifically.. I am talking about all crate engines in general here.. probably more info than your asking for LOL Cheers

Tunes67

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”