Which mx3 is best for me?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
bunit_9oh4

Which mx3 is best for me?

Post by bunit_9oh4 »

Sorry to add on to the question-pile, but recently I've fell in love with the mx-3 and was wondering which is best for me.
As a high school student, my budget is obviously limited, not to mention that my parents are cheap and aren't pitching in a single penny.
For insurance reasons, I probably won't be able to afford an mx-3 that comes with a stock turbo. (also, how much would a 16 year old pay in insurance for the v-6 mx-3?)
well anyways, I wanted to do something different besides the thousands of civics and 240sx's that are zippin around, and I think the mx3 is a perfect platform for what I'm looking for.
Any help or advice is appreciated. Keep in mind that I am not really aiming for a show car. I will probably be dumping alot of money into performance before anything else.

Thanks!
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

I dunno about a 16 year old, but I have a 1996 Blazer with full coverage and my 1993 MX-3 GS with full coverage, and I only pay $125 a month. So, if the car is paid for, and you just get liability or something, it shouldn't be too bad...

A good place to start is to try Geiko or Progressive websites and get their online quotes to see a ballpark figure.
No more MX-3.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Call an insurance company for accurate quotes.. and pick an MX-3 that has both ABS and Airbags.. insurance companies love these features and your rates will be lower. My rates dropped $23 over my 6 month premium going from my Subaru XT to my MX-3 that only has Airbags.. would have dropped another $17 if I had the ABS. Granted I am more than twice your age and have a spotless driving record. But they will still save you cash. As for which car to pick.. well... guess that depends on what your looking for.. economy or performance. The 4 cyl versions get decent gas mileage, but the V6 platform has significantly more power. Be aware that swapping from 4Cyl to V6 is a expensive and time consuming job.. so if you think you will want thte V6 later on.. best to get it up front. Though you can Turbo the DOHC 1.6L and make decent power as well. I am unaware of any stock 4Cyl cars that came with a Turbo from the factory. Others here on this board will know about that for certain. Anyway.. just a bit of food for thought.

Tunes67
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

i was 15 when i bought my mx3, just be sitting down when you get insurance quotes ill tell you that much lol. shop around though, the first quotes i was getting were around $10,000/year no joke, but dont get discouraged you'll find something cheaper. (mine is now $4800/year)
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Bunit
I'm assuming that you're in the US so I can't comment on insurance. As for affordability in making a choice as to whether the MX is for you, best suggestion is to do a search on this BB....there's a wealth of info for the newcommer...BTW, welcome to the MX community if you commit.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

oh forgot to mention, there was never a 4 cylinder mx3 that came with a stock turbo. there was only sohc and dohc 4 cylinders, and a v6 all naturally aspirated. good luck.
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

Fry, you pay $400 a month in car insurance?
No more MX-3.
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

Go with a 94 and up 4cy. Get one in any color but red! Also for insurance reason definately get one w/ abs and airbags. Also posibly a security system. The 92 and 93 Mx3 4 bangers are a bit less power but did not come w/ airbags. Anyway you look at it you're a 16 yr old male in the us, which means high insurance. These are just a few of the things that will save yopu some $$$. Also, instead of going directly to an insurance company for quotes, contact a broker that deals with many companys and they will find you the best rates. I am 27, but have numerous offenses on my record and couldn't even get insurance until I contacted a broker. 6 spding tickets, reckless driving (in excess of 25mph of the speed limit), and a DUI in 2003. I have MAX coverage liability on my 93 mx and only pay 290 per year!
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

ScooterBovine wrote:Fry, you pay $400 a month in car insurance?
yes, is that alot more than you?
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

My little 16yearold bro will have to pay $120 per month here in Utah
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

i think insurance in canada is alot more
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

that is for 2 cars though, not just the mx right ?
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

fry your a freaking cracker!!! 400 bucks DAMN DAWG THAT IS ALOT

how old are you?
how many tickets you got?
how many accidents?
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Neil

Post by Neil »

That seems like a lot, my insurance was only $145 a month through MPI (Manitoba Public Insurance) and im 19... $400/month seems crazy
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
01-03 Civic Projector Swap Tutorial
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

ya its for 2 cars.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”