Why hasnt anyone put a engine in the back?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

Why hasnt anyone put a engine in the back?

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I know some of the problems with moving the engine, tranny (everything in the engine bay needed) to the back would be making some room in the back and that the front would crush easier in a car accident but I bet that could be prevented by building a cage on the front.
Anyway, I am sure there is enough room to fit the engine and the "FWD" tranny (car would be RWD) on the back as long as the back seats are gone, fuel tank, battery are moved to the front and there is something to cover the engine from the front seats. I am also sure there would be enough room so that you would be able to see through your back window.
Moving the engine to the back should improve handling and improve 1/4mile times by atleast .7 to a full second.
So I wonder, why hasn’t anyone tried this?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

why??? costs too much $$$$$ and time!

but... if you guys all wanna fund me i'll try it :P
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Yeah it would be idious because we dont have the rear supports and boleh bleh..one thjing i noted is that the pontiac fiero uses the fwd system but well that engine sucks gm2.5 carb ugly engine. It woulod be VERY Expensive to do and ard hard hard... ard! Do it..i wanna see it :D
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I got a intresting question
Say I was to move my engine to the back, how would the engine get cooled if the intercooler only works on the front?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

I dont see why it cant be done if youre working at America's chopper tv show :roll:
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

it can be done, but whats the realll gains? but i say go for it if you wanna try
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Noobi

Post by Noobi »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote:I got a intresting question
Say I was to move my engine to the back, how would the engine get cooled if the intercooler only works on the front?
You'd have to drive around in reverse all the time. It might look funny, but at least you'll have the engine in the back. :lol:
Seriously tho, I'm sure there must be some way, since some cars have engines in the back. Maybe have a pump to move the radiator fluid from the front to the back, or have scoops on the side of the car to suck air into the back. Who knows what people will do nowadays. I don't even want to think about it all b/c it will drive me crazy.
Silver O1 Miata LS 6spd
http://www.cardomain.com/id/noobiata
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

just go buy an mr-2, ill be cheaper
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

mitmaks wrote:just go buy an mr-2, ill be cheaper
Buy a $9k car? Hell no
What would cost me so much money that it would be better off buying a MR2?
I think it can be done cheap.
Its just all about time and that time would have to go into moving the stuff from the front to the back and welding out enough room on the back to make it fit.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
rdawg000

Post by rdawg000 »

funny u should say that about the fiero ! a guy in my town just completed a Northstar V8 in his fiero is freakin bad azzz i will the link to his website. he has pics and vids
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

make some side vents to cool the engine.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote:
mitmaks wrote:just go buy an mr-2, ill be cheaper
Buy a $9k car? Hell no
What would cost me so much money that it would be better off buying a MR2?
I think it can be done cheap.
Its just all about time and that time would have to go into moving the stuff from the front to the back and welding out enough room on the back to make it fit.
where did you pull out $9K price on mr-2, my buddy got one and he got less than 5K in it and its upgraded, full wide body kit, aftermarket rims, rebuilt engine, etc etc. and he got it for $1500
Teal_93

Post by Teal_93 »

yeah you can also bolt up a 350 small block in a fiero
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

$9k? THat's not really all that much for a decent MKii MR2. Take a look on Xcars.com They have like 30 MR2s for sale *by owner* and many of them are 12k+. MR2 are such rare cars that those who want one already realize that they are gonna pay through the nose for one. I say this because I'm currently looking for a cheap MR2, and I canna find one anywhere in Canada for less than 7 or 8k. And that's just for a 91 auto NA. Xcars is basically a US site so the conversion would kill me if I wanted to buy on of those. But anyway, didn't mean to jack the thread. Lol I guess my point in all of this is that 9k to change an MX-3 to an RR doesn't seem like that much money. If you are able to do most (80% or more) of the work yourself, you could probably do it for a bit cheaper. But for a shop to do it? OMG! 9k is probably a bargain. I remember when I pulled the engine out of my Corolla (don't ask) it was almost a grand JUST to take it out and put it back in again. Not to mention the work that would have to be done.. I mean, you have to make a space for the engine, brace it, figure out how your gonna work the drivetrain.... It would be easier just to pull the drivetrain from a Miata and modify it for the RWD. OR... the AWD from a 323GTX would be a useful mod. Just my 2 (or 3) cents.
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
Taras

Post by Taras »

Have you thought about the frame strengthening and handling? It would ride like an older 911, spins easily on the wet corners. Not to be another downer to your idea, but it would be better to buy a RWD car.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”