Need advice on springs and strut combinations.

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
seneca

Need advice on springs and strut combinations.

Post by seneca »

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been around. But once again I need your priceless advice!
Basically I know that most of you have tested these products at some point. I have two days until my deadline for choosing which combo I would like. So, rather than read through the archives, your help will be very much appreciated. I have from these options to choose from:

Springs:

-B&G Springs 1.6" f/r

-Suspension Tech. 1.3" f/r

Struts:

-KYB GR-2

-KONI SHOCKS

-TOKICO "blues" <<<<<(Unfortunanly these may not be availiable from the company I have to order through)

I can remember how praised Tokico struts have been, but are they really that far off in quality and ride from the others? I prefer a nice, stiff ride. So far all I have added to my suspension has been front and rear strut braces. I will also be aquiring a OBX camber kit. Lowering an inch and a half should bring that added handling and look that wil set my ride off. Hopefully you guys can help with my decision.

Thanks In Advance!

~Tyson
My Car Domain Page:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/496099

Take a Look, leave a comment, and don't forget to vote.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

Koni's are by-far the best choice for struts you have on that list. Mazdaspeeds are probably the best but koni's are equally decent. Only downfall is the difficulty installing the konis since you reuse your old strut housing to put the inserts into.

As for springs, I think you'll like the B+G's. You don't see them often & I have ridden in 3 different cars (including my own) with these springs and I really liked how smooth, yet firm the ride was, very controlled.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
seneca

Post by seneca »

Thx Gro, well I have until monday now to make up my mind. I wanted to try the B&G so I'm thinking that will be my choice. Now there's many things said about struts, this is not someothing that I want to get to far into! lol As there was quite the "discussion" in another thread! haha
Well from what I've read up, the KYB's won't like the 1.6" drop. Plus they are just a basic replacment. On the other hand those awesome KONI struts are more than twice the cost of KYB's. :s Ohhhh the predicament. I am in.

Would anyone think that B&G springs with KYB Struts would be a bad/poor choice?????????
My Car Domain Page:

jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

After 265k km replacing stock suspension with KYB's and B&G's, it was like a whole new driving experience. Very impressed with this combo. I think "Gro" has valid suggestions.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
seneca

Post by seneca »

Thx guys....I ordered the B&G springs w/ the GR-2's. There's no harm in trying the combo I guess! Thanks again.
My Car Domain Page:

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”