I need head porting/polishing for my 1.8l v6... any ideas???

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
GtownMX3v6

I need head porting/polishing for my 1.8l v6... any ideas???

Post by GtownMX3v6 »

I have a 1992 Mazda MX3 with the 1.8L V6. I really wanna get the heads port and polished but I can't find a good place in my area. I live in Nashville, Tennessee... I would be willing to ship my heads so anywhere in the US is fine.
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

Porting and polishing the heads of the K8......

Since your willing to pull the heads off yourself, these heads
don't need a lot of work, so a flapper wheel just to tidy up casting
marks and casting core shift around the vavle seat's ...

opening up where the injectors spray is another area that benifits...

Also a good time to get the vavle seats recut.....
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

If you're not going to do the head work yourself, you might as well just buy a set of KL31 heads and slap those on.
Black Magic

Post by Black Magic »

And since your looking for the kl31 heads, you can also spent another 600 for a complete klze and be done. trust me, it's worth it!!

Bastian
17 inch bba racings rims, apex lowering springs, laser muffler, boost steering wheel, mazdaspeed seats, black altezza's, testpipe, oh and a polished klze with an upgraded clutch and a kl36 ecu.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

or just get a low miles KL-DE and throw in
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

Pretty sure you can't just throw 2.5L heads on the 1.8L - I'd check into that farther if you're thinking of going that route.
1993 MX-3 ~ SE * 2.5L Swap'd
1993 RX-7 ~ Rotary Performance Built
1996 MX-5 ~ M-Edition * Topless, Daily Driver

masonholmes@hotmail.com
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

i dont see why not. The valve covers and gaskets are identical. However, I would consult with someone who has tried this none the less than have a stupid suprise after you bought ZE heads
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

the combustion chamber sizes will be different so who knows, you might lose some compression
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I know the combustion chambers on my KL head are smaller than the bore of the KL. Looking at the head sitting by my right now, the outline of the old gasket, looks like maybe about 1/4" minimum all the way around? So a 1/2" minimum smaller bore than the KL pistons.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

bmwm3guy wrote:i dont see why not. The valve covers and gaskets are identical. However, I would consult with someone who has tried this none the less than have a stupid suprise after you bought ZE heads

::Shakes head:: Head Gaskets arnt the same and the bore is completely different !

If your going to p&p your heads i would go ahead and get a 3 angle valve job done Manley performance has the specs for the 1.8 valves since i had them do my set for the 2.0 *uses the same valves* upgrade to stiffer valve springs and stronger valve stems
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”