new engine for a 93?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
phatglass

new engine for a 93?

Post by phatglass »

ive got to get a whole new motor for my 93'mx-3. unfortunatly i dont know d--- about cars. i can change my oil, airfilter, and my air freashener and thats about the extent of my mechanic abillities. i want to put in something better than what i had previously which is just a little 4cl. 1.6L i think. does anyone know what the best motor would be if i had around an eight to nine hundred dollar budget? everyones pressin me to just get a new car but f*ck that. i love my mx. you just dont see as many on the road as every other car. can someone give me some insite? and dont be afraid to explain it like im a moron who doesnt know jack. thanks a lot
Mike
newflow

Post by newflow »

hey,
You may not like the answer but what I would do is sell that mx3 and get another MX3 instead a V6 GS. This one has 1.8 engine with more horsepower and a option to get a bigger engine in the future (not that you can get a better engine for your car but thats my opinion from experience)
Compact Gladiator

"Do not follow the path, instead; go where there is no path and leave a trail"

WWW.GEOCITIES.COM/NEWFLOW81
newflow

Post by newflow »

If this is not an option for you then:
- go to the main MX-3.com and to the link Engine Swap Info Their you will find some info on what type of swaps you can do (or the common one).

- Check this site with engines: http://osakajdmmotors.com/other/index.html

- Find out with your local shop if they can do the swap or not.[/url]
Compact Gladiator

"Do not follow the path, instead; go where there is no path and leave a trail"

WWW.GEOCITIES.COM/NEWFLOW81
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

I dont know much about the 4cyl. but i would say swap in a bp. Search around the 4cyl. section on here for more info on that.
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

A bpt would be a VERY nice upgrade. I'm sure you'd be satisfied with it. Just try searching the 4cyl faq section: lots of info there.
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
phatglass

Post by phatglass »

well you see i was kinda wanting to throw a v6 in there. if that is even possible. i tried looking around on that engine swap page but it just confused me. ill go look again. thanx guys
peace
Mike
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

4cyl to V6 and v6 to 4cyl swaps have been done before, rare, but have been done. However, your looking at replacing pretty much 95% of everything in the engine bay. Because of the amount of parts, and especially, labor involved, it's more likely cheaper to stick with a 4cyl and either modify or the common thing; swap in a more powerful 4cyl engine. I almost guarantee that you will not be able to pull off a 4cyl to v6 swap for under $1000. Maybe it you got a cheep GS doner car and done the work yourself

To go 4cyl to v6 your looking around $3000 if "professionally" done (this is what A-Spec charges, but their works seems to be questionable)

FYI, the mx-3 with the most power (excluding the rotary drag car with the Mx-3 body) is not a v6 but a 4cyl (1.8l bp-turbo'ed)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
phatglass

Post by phatglass »

damn, thanx dude that clears up alot for me n' i will head on over to the 4cl forum now
peace

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”