Pros + Cons

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
H1PH0P

Pros + Cons

Post by H1PH0P »

What are some pros and cons of having a Mazda MX-3?
thanks
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

a definate con is that the parts tend to be on the expensive side.
insurance is a con because they qualify as a sports coupe(or sporty coupe whatever is called lol) but then again car insurance is awful no matter what. depending on the year you get if its 92-93 they tend to have some distributer problems, but someone made a fix for that so its not a real issue.
as for pro's, its a joy to drive and even more of a joy to look at. even in stock form it has a very nice stance to it and very mean look imo. it gets great fuel economy, good ride and handling, and not bad performance either(however ive never driven the 4 cylinder version so im not sure what its like)
hope this helps
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

PRO: Not everyone and their mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, uncles, aunts, grandparents have one.

CON: Aftermarket parts arent as readily availiable and cheap as a honda (could also be looked at as a pro if you've ever seen a civic driving down the street with every APC bolt-on ever invented)
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

pro, handles great, got great look in stock form. Cheap upgrades.

con. some parts are expensive

overall, a great car, reminds of mini-me rx-7 with its looks.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

I see a lot of u mention that parts are expensive. I would like to mention that you can sometimes save a few dollars by getting Probe GT parts. Because K series parts are interchangeable.
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Talon_66 wrote:I see a lot of u mention that parts are expensive. I would like to mention that you can sometimes save a few dollars by getting Probe GT parts. Because K series parts are interchangeable.
not as much as mechanical, more like performance and body parts are expensive. Call your local mazda ask how much for fender (CAUTION: please sit down before you do!)
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

Some parts may be expensive, but I have found my mx3 to be very dependable. I have never been stranded with it, and mine is still running strong at 193000 with the original v6 in it. IMO the biggest most fun pro is that lowering and putting strut bars on this car makes it look great and handle incredibly. Id say there aren'y many cars out there that are as fun to drive as a lowered mx3
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108

Post by Guest »

Cons: Bad automatic transmissions. DONT GET A AUTOMATIC, expensive parts but you can say that about any import, the colors on the seats on certain models are sort of ugly but you can paint them what I heard

Pros: Awesome handling, 1.8L V6 engine, MX3s are pretty light, awesome seats (no need for those "racing seats"), great gas mileage, nice looking car and MX3s are what you can call unique because not many people own them (here in America)
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

What's so bad about the ATX??? My 95 GS is running with an ATX on the original engine still, and haven't had any problems with either yet after 114000kms so far. If you're not inteding to race with it, the set works just fine. Is there something I should know about the ATX that I'm not familiar with yet?

Post by Guest »

Chiggles wrote:What's so bad about the ATX??? My 95 GS is running with an ATX on the original engine still, and haven't had any problems with either yet after 114000kms so far. If you're not inteding to race with it, the set works just fine. Is there something I should know about the ATX that I'm not familiar with yet?
My ATX stopped working after 97k miles. Many people here with a ATX have had this same problem with their trannies breaking down within 110k miles.
Kokiriwave

Post by Kokiriwave »

Pro::.
Awesome looking car, great handling, Spunky 1.8 L V6, Unique.
I've driven at least 20 cars made during the era of our cars, MX-3 make them look little turds.

Cons::.
Committing yourself to put money into a car thats 12 years old........Fabric inserts (wtf was mazda thinking?).

I think so many here like the car, because it doesn't really that many inperfections....
I want MAZDASPEED!
MY WEBSITE:: http://kingmx.net
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

Juans_MX3 wrote:
Chiggles wrote:What's so bad about the ATX??? My 95 GS is running with an ATX on the original engine still, and haven't had any problems with either yet after 114000kms so far. If you're not inteding to race with it, the set works just fine. Is there something I should know about the ATX that I'm not familiar with yet?
My ATX stopped working after 97k miles. Many people here with a ATX have had this same problem with their trannies breaking down within 110k miles.
Really?? Guess I should consider myself extra lucky then!!! :D
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

Most people say the automatics suck, because IF you drive your car hard, the auto's dont tend to last very long.... im sure if you drive like grandma the auto will do you just fine...... my auto tranny now has 204,000 kilometers on it and i put 21,000 of those on since i bought it and surprisingly its held out (definetly dosent shift as good anymore though) 5-speed here i come 8)
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

If you ask me the MX-3 GS is a piece of s---. Here is what i have had to replace on it since i got the car back in Jan 2002.

- ALL Wheel Bearings
- ALL Calipers
- ALL Struts
- BOTH Lower Ball Joints
- Goes through oil like a mofo
- Front Valve cover gaskets
- Fuel Filter
- CamShaft Friction Gear (Very Pricey)
- Thermastat (2 times)
- Battery (2 times)
- Spark Plugs/Wires
- BOTH CV Axles (driver side 3 times, passenger side twice)
- CatBack Exhaust (2 times now)
- my gas tank release handle is screwed beyond belive
- my cruise control accel button doesnt work anymroe
- ALL the locks on the car are just f---in' screwed.
- Front Driver Side marker light flickers all the time
- GSLip on the bumper is split in two

I can't belive i have not had to replace the ditsy or alternator yet!!
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

quicksliver wrote: MX-3 GS is a piece of s---.
yourmx-3 is piece of s---, sorry you got lemon.
btw some people would say its chicks car, but either ignore them or beat their a-- with bat.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”