ZE direct swap?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

ZE direct swap?

Post by MX-3 Money »

Ok please help me out here. I'm on the brink of getting a ze and my parents are buggin me about it causing problems. So is the K8 to KL-ZE swap a direct swap? Can the VAF from my k8 be used? And my k8 ecu be used? I'm sure I would lose power from them tho. I'm going to have a shop do it, so will they have any problems?
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

You need to use your distributor from your k8. In order to use the stock vaf you need to get a ze ecu. If you are planning on using your k8 ecu, use a vaf for a klde engine. If the ze you get comes with a straight neck intake manifold, either use the one from your k8 (you will lose power this way), or buy a 2.5 millenia intake manifold. You can fit the straight neck, but i hear its a PITA to do. Other then that, there is not much to it.
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

Ok, so why do i need to reuse my distributor? And I know this will sound stupid but what is the difference between a vaf and maf? And if I was going to keep my same air flow meter(vaf or maf??) what ecu do i need, kl36 or kl31? and what junk yard cars can i get them out of?
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

is the search function not working?

look in the FAQ before you ask dude, its all there for K8 to ZE. Not a very hard swap at all.
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

ok so i looked the FAQ all over, now i know what i need. So now i am looking for a vaf outta a 2.5L engine or a ZE ecu. I'm thinking the vaf will be easier for me to find. So what car should i look for at the junkyard? A MX-6 with a V6, 626? Or should I just ask for the VAF by its serial number? Or where could I get a ZE ecu? Only place ive seen one for sale is corksport and I'm not to hot on that idea. These are the last few things i need help with so i can get my ZE, SO PLEASE HELP ME!!!
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

teh part number for the KL-DE VAF is KL02, get it from a 626, MX-6 or Probe GT with the 2.5L V6
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

MX-3 Money wrote:ok so i looked the FAQ all over, now i know what i need. So now i am looking for a vaf outta a 2.5L engine or a ZE ecu. I'm thinking the vaf will be easier for me to find. So what car should i look for at the junkyard? A MX-6 with a V6, 626? Or should I just ask for the VAF by its serial number? Or where could I get a ZE ecu? Only place ive seen one for sale is corksport and I'm not to hot on that idea. These are the last few things i need help with so i can get my ZE, SO PLEASE HELP ME!!!
You can get the proper VAF from a 93-97 626, MX6, or Ford Probe with the 2.5liter V6. The part number is KL02. It should only run about $35 for a KL02 VAF. They're not as high demand as a KLZE ECU. A proper KLZE ECU will run you $200 to $300.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

lakersfan1 wrote:
MX-3 Money wrote:ok so i looked the FAQ all over, now i know what i need. So now i am looking for a vaf outta a 2.5L engine or a ZE ecu. I'm thinking the vaf will be easier for me to find. So what car should i look for at the junkyard? A MX-6 with a V6, 626? Or should I just ask for the VAF by its serial number? Or where could I get a ZE ecu? Only place ive seen one for sale is corksport and I'm not to hot on that idea. These are the last few things i need help with so i can get my ZE, SO PLEASE HELP ME!!!
You can get the proper VAF from a 93-97 626, MX6, or Ford Probe with the 2.5liter V6. The part number is KL02. It should only run about $35 for a KL02 VAF. They're not as high demand as a KLZE ECU. A proper KLZE ECU will run you $200 to $300.
beat ya to it man :P
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

Thanks guys!!! So where would be a good place to find a ze ecu? Plus if I got the vaf off at mx-6 or probe, should i get the ze ecu? Are they a good combo? Or should I go back to my stock vaf form my k8 and use the ze ecu?
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

MX-3 Money wrote:Plus if I got the vaf off at mx-6 or probe, should i get the ze ecu? Are they a good combo?
No. They won't work together properly.
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

the proper set up for the klze is je50 vaf (which is your stock one on the mx3) and a kl36 or kl31 ecu. If you were to stick with your k8 ecu, then use a kl02 vaf, which will run the car good but not as good as with the ze ecu and je50
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

and all of the above-stated information could have been easily found if you had searched and read the FAQ.

the swap is so easy it makes me cry, it IS a direct swap
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

I did read the faq, thought the purpose of this message board was for ppl to ask questions. There was nothing in the faq about what ecu was used or what combo of vaf and ecu was used.
bubbaflaat

Post by bubbaflaat »

I'm pretty sure its been asked about 400 times for what ecu vaf combo to use. But hey, i think one of those posts is mine too! LOL we all gotta learn somehow. LOL I like engine swaps that make a person cry! LOL i don't get it.
THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED, DO NOT DEAL WITH HIM. - MX-3.com Admin
chertel

Post by chertel »

What about motor mounts?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”