Projector Headlights

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
DJPRO

Projector Headlights

Post by DJPRO »

I would like to thank JDM for posting some preview shots of his projector headlight for the MX. Good Luck with the finish project.
Image<p>Image<p>later,
dee
'92 MIATA
'93 MX-3 BPT
'08 CX-9 AWD GRAND TOURING

Re: Projector Headlights

Post by Guest »

omg!! thats HOT!!!<p>[ September 20, 2003: Message edited by: jdm_mxpower ]</p>
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

I want them!
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies
Taras

Post by Taras »

They are not finished yet :( It is getting into rainy season and I really wish for better lighting. Time to get back to working on them.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
jplar

Post by jplar »

Those look really nice. If you could find a way to streamline the process, you could probably make a nice profit selling it to the rest of us MX-3 owners using polish and cleaning agents on our stock headlights.
Ramdao

Post by Ramdao »

that´s great but please give us more details about it, such as the proyectors, polish agents, etc.
sw-ontarioguy

Post by sw-ontarioguy »

any idea when they will be completed JDM?
Speed Kills....Save a life...Drive a HONDA
Taras

Post by Taras »

This is just a project for me. Barry will have production projector headlights for the rest of Mx-ers soon. I think they will be very cool.<p>If I would make them for other people, I would have to find a way to get clear cover mass-produced, but they are injection molded, and a mold would cost about 10000.00<p>I do not know when I will be done. If only I would have more time.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

bump bump<p>are those 90mm hella projectors with hella ff50??<p>im working on a projector setup myself.
i was wondering if the lines on the headlight will effect the beam pattern from the high beam and the projector?
what high beam housing did u use? i have integra high beams but i dont think they will fit cuz im trying to do a dual projector setup with a high beam on each side.
Taras

Post by Taras »

LOW/HI-Beams in HID/Xenon: OEM 2002+ Audi A6 Bi-Xenon projector made by Hella. Barely fits.<p>HI-Beams in Halogen (primarily for reach and FTP): Hella FF50 modules. May not even usem them yet due to various reasons.<p>The fluted lens (with lines) will affect the beam pattern. You need clear lenses.<p>Integra hi-beam may not fit. Because legally they have to be on the inside of the low beam and you know the closer to the centre you get the smaller and shallower it gets. Try Hella 90mm hi-beam module, they are as small and as good as it gets.<p>[ September 21, 2003: Message edited by: JDM ]</p>
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

all this time i been checkin out hella 90mm projectors but it seems that it slipped my mind that if i dont use the hella's i can still use their high beams. man... i am sofa king wee todd did. hahaha great idea. im still pondering my stupidity.
do u have the ff50 in fog or driving light? hows the beam pattern? im trying to locate something with a nice long driving light that is actually usable when your in the driver seat. ive seen many driving light that look brighter but only light up 5 ft in front, the same 5 feet u dont usually look at anyway when your driving at night. anyone else experienced in auxilliary lighting?
Taras

Post by Taras »

Steeb,
I have Hella FF50 driving lights. I already have factory J-spec fog lights.

If you are still planning to go with a hi-beam integrated into your headlight as in two round projectors, then go with Hella 90mm in H9 type. Run it through the relay, stick with original Osram H9 bulb (not that you will find anything elese on the market for H9 right now) and you will have close to 2000lm output, that is twice the brightness of stock lights (hi-beam), I bet with a better beam as well.

If you do not care for integrating them into your headlights, then bigger is better rule apply here. Think Rally lights. Hella or Cibie has a good range of choices. Just stick with H1/H7/H9/D2S bulbs. Try to avoid anything H3 realted. Yes, Hella makes a few as well, but it is really a fog light bulb and has a transverse filament.

NOw, if you drive in the dark alone for long periods of time, you might want to get your driving beams in HID/Xenon/D2S, whetever you want to call it. And there are cheap options out there. But I will stop here.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Taras

Post by Taras »

Check this for Hella Beam Patterns
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
catalyst

Post by catalyst »

That brings up a question. Has anyone tried to put the 2002+ Miata projector headlights in their MX?
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Originally posted by catalyst:
That brings up a question. Has anyone tried to put the 2002+ Miata projector headlights in their MX?
No, just 1999-2000.

2001+ are even worse since they are larger.

Search and you'll find the two people who put them in.

~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”