Suggestions?

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
MX-3 for Me

Suggestions?

Post by MX-3 for Me »

Sooo, I have this bizzare transmission problem again. When I first start my car and go in the morning, the transmission is all slippy and doesnt change gears properly, sometimes will just rev up really high rather than changing gears, but eventually it calms down. Although, when I come to a dead stop, the hold light will flash. Then I go again and its stops flashing... after I get off the highway the hold light doesnt flash when im at a stop. Wierd eh? I dont think the trasmission is GOING.... but maybe someone out there knows of something that is causing this irritation.
Any input is appreciated ladies and gents! :)
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Re: Suggestions?

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Checked fluid level, color and smell?
MX-3 for Me

Post by MX-3 for Me »

Yep- all are in good condish!
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

I dont think the trasmission is GOING....
I do. :(

When you are checking the fluid level, you are doing it with the engine RUNNING and shifter in Park or neutral, correct? (Just checking... a lot of people dont know how to proplerly do this and think the level is fine when in fact it is way low).

Other than checking the fluid level, all you can really do is drop the pan (not a difficult job) and change the filter. If it is clogged, that is most likely the problem. If its not clogged, you could have a shop check line pressures, test the electronics, etc. Good luck getting an honest answer out of them though. I think you are looking at a rebuild/replacement.

Welcome to Mazda Automatic Transmission Hell. :p
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
g3939

Post by g3939 »

i took my automatic V6 to the mazda dealer and paid $100us for the transmission service after having the same problem as you just described and the car has been running nice ever since.
http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=30;t=000142
I've never had the service before which is why Ive been through four trannies, but I will keep it serviced now.
harold stephens

Return to “Transmissions”