Average miles for atx

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
g3939

Average miles for atx

Post by g3939 »

My dam tranny is going out again. this will make the fifth time. this auto must only be capable of 12000 miles before it burns up. everyone please give me the number of miles your automatic 1.8 tranny lasts so I can know if its me or the car that keeps blowing it,
Third mixer
harold stephens
mxprecidia

Re: Average miles for atx

Post by mxprecidia »

www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

Originally posted by Third mixer:
My dam tranny is going out again. this will make the fifth time. this auto must only be capable of 12000 miles before it burns up. everyone please give me the number of miles your automatic 1.8 tranny lasts so I can know if its me or the car that keeps blowing it,
Third mixer
i remember an aussie on the yahoo groups-not gonna mention his name- that used to blow atx's trannies as often as you. i wonder if he still has his mx3.... anyway try joining that board and see if he ever fixed his problem, maybe he can help you. last i remember he was on atx number 12?? not sure... good luck tho.

maybe u guys should learn to drive stick. my tranny seal has been blown and im saving up for a used tranny instead cuz its had about no tranny oil in it for the past 60k miles and its still going even after my ze swap. thats better luck than 12k miles an atx :shrug:
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

My MX-3 is a manual tranny but I had probs with an MX-6 ATX couple years back and if I remember right, the MX-3 1.8L uses the same or similar Mazda ATX. If so, maybe this link will help.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dorothy.bradbury/probemx/p_m20.htm

Major design issues exist re ATX cooling capability, poor filtration, premature fluid breakdown etc. + difficulty doing actual 100% ATX fluid changes. If the link shows info correct for your ATX, and I believe that it does, you'll find some good pics and a few workarounds for preventive maintenance. Good luck.
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

124,200 Miles on first Tranny and still tickin
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
g3939

Post by g3939 »

I had the filter replaced in the tranny and it,s been running smooth for three and a half months. I guess the moral is, if it skips GET YOUR TRANNY SERVICED.
harold stephens
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

187,000km on the tranny and runs great.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

169K miles...
ant1path

Post by ant1path »

1993 mx Gs. Have about 249,000k on it. Still runs great!
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

Early on when I first got my car used at 130k I had some atx tranny issues. It was replaced once and rebuilt once.

The current atx tranny has been operating problem free for 4 years now with over 100k on it and still going strong.

I am still unsure why had issues in the beginning, maybe it was just bad luck.

Too be honest I am not more concerned with my engine then tranny, my engine has like 280k on it and starting to show its age(or use rather).
cashmoneyspeed

Post by cashmoneyspeed »

66,000 miles on original one. 2nd one lasted 300 miles(defective clutch pack). and at 82,000 the differential blew up.
SOLD - 93 GS Custom intake, exhaust, phenolic spacers, port matching, front upper strut bar, 17" wheels, dragon body graphics, black/white interior, sound system, tints, altezza tails & 3rd brake altezza, g-force front

'94 Caprice - rolling fast and low on 20's along with some custom goodies

'86 Regal - Hydraulics, custom wheels, custom paint, shaved, phantom top, leather, power, and lots of chrome

'92 - New import project in the works, should be out in '09
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

Originally posted by Steeb:
i remember an aussie on the yahoo groups-not gonna mention his name- that used to blow atx's trannies as often as you. i wonder if he still has his mx3.... anyway try joining that board and see if he ever fixed his problem, maybe he can help you. last i remember he was on atx number 12?? not sure... good luck tho.
How is he going to find the relevant posts if you don't post his username on the yahoo groups? It's not some huge secret, if he was hugely ashamed of it then he wouldn't have posted about all the times it died.

The guy's username was Laddie if I remember correctly and I think he was from Austria. He had replaced/rebuilt at least 11-12 auto trannies and that was like 2-3 years ago! The number could be a lot higher or he might have finally ditched the car.

<small>[ September 22, 2004, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: Andrew_Pakula ]</small>

Post by Guest »

I wonder why he had to replace so many?
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

Well either he had incredible bad luck or maybe he was abusing it.
seneca

Post by seneca »

On my ATX I've got just over 92000km's. Thats on a '93 GS. It's been a little rough going into reverse and gears 1-3. But my mechanics assured me it's nothing bad enough to worry about.

I'm still satisfied with my ATX seeeing as I got the car with such low km's over a year ago! But I realllllllllllly miss driving a MT. Anyone have an idea of how much a conversion would roughly cost?
My Car Domain Page:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/496099

Take a Look, leave a comment, and don't forget to vote.

Return to “Transmissions”