Another Hold Light Question

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Grhodes18

Another Hold Light Question

Post by Grhodes18 »

Every time I hit the gas the hold light comes on. It started after I changed the intake gaskets. When I took the intake off I disconnected the throttle cable going to the transmission and messed up the adjustment. Do I just need to take the car to the transmission shop to have it readjusted or can I do it myself. Or is it something else. The transmission was rebuilt about a year ago.

<small>[ April 30, 2004, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Grhodes18 ]</small>
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Re: Another Hold Light Question

Post by Nallboy »

does the hold light start blinking or does it stay on?
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
Grhodes18

Post by Grhodes18 »

It blinks. If I turn off the car and restart it there is no hold light until I hit the gas. This is all while it is in park.

<small>[ May 01, 2004, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Grhodes18 ]</small>
hondah8er13

Post by hondah8er13 »

SEARCH, and spray the screw, thats what i did
Zoom-Zoom
Grhodes18

Post by Grhodes18 »

I don't think that is going to help. I really think it has something to do with the throttle cable going to the transmission.
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

This is strange as I have adjusted the throttle sensing cable to either extreme without ever causing a hold light. Assuming you have made sure anything you disconnected has been reconnected (tubes, electrical, etc), check on the cable bracket, you should see at least some scuffing or marks where the two bolts hold it, to give an idea where it was before you took it off (for future reference, mark things like this first with white-out so that you know exactly where to put them back). Failing that, start with the bracket adjusted to the passenger side, take it for a drive, and note the harshness of the shift. Adjust it to the right in SMALL steps until the shifting is firm, but not harsh. Dont go any further to the right (less harsh) than necessary. Thats were it should be. Thats as scientific as I can be without a shop manual.

It wouldnt hurt also to spray the large bolt (the one that connects the shifter to the tranny). Its helped others with the flashing light problem, you have nothing to lose.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen

Return to “Transmissions”