Mx-6 auto tranny on 1.8

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
MattPPK007

Mx-6 auto tranny on 1.8

Post by MattPPK007 »

Alright will an mx-6 or 626 auto tranny fit right onto a GS or do you need the 2.5 for that transmission.. because my auto tranny in the mx-3 is horrible off the line and i was wondering if the tranny from the 2.5 cars would perform any better? I also plan to get a KL-ZE in the future so i figure im gonna need a different tranny anyway..
93 GS Blaze Red
MAZDASPEED STEVE

Re: Mx-6 auto tranny on 1.8

Post by MAZDASPEED STEVE »

It will fit, and it does have better gear ratio's. If you do switch u will probably have to use a 2.5L ecu. :)
THANX
MAZDASPEED
STEVE
mx3gsr

Post by mx3gsr »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAZDASPEED STEVE:<BR><STRONG>It will fit, and it does have better gear ratio's. If you do switch u will probably have to use a 2.5L ecu. :)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually, be careful guys, no, it WON'T fit in an automatic.<P>The 5spd transmission is the same between the 1.8L and 2.5L, but the 2.5L automatic transmission is about twice the size of the 1.8L automatic. <P>I had the two side by side, and I highly doubt the 2.5L automatic transmission will fit into the MX-3 engine bay.
1992 MX-3 GS-R 2.5L Turbo - retired 2001 :(
13.8@107mph
MAZDASPEED STEVE

Post by MAZDASPEED STEVE »

just ask Shaun Newman (sorry if I misspelled) He has an MX-6 tranny in his GS. In fact I just asked him a couple Q's about it not too long ago. My 1.8L tranny bolted right up to my 2.5L engine, they both have the same block.<BR>The prob is that the 1.8L tranny is mechanical and the 2.5L is electric. So you'll have to get a 2.5L ecu! I know this cause when I did my engine swap I tried the 2.5L ecu and it would not run the 1.8 tranny unless it was reprogramed [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
THANX
MAZDASPEED
STEVE
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

it does fit and i do have it installed in my auto. The only problem toyota noted when swapping was the situation with the ECU. They never mentioned having any problems with clearance. My engine is coming out on wednesday, so i'll take a look at the numbers on the tranny then
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R

Return to “Transmissions”