launching RPM

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
m92_MX3

launching RPM

Post by m92_MX3 »

i have a 92 SOHC 1.6L and it almost stock i have full exhaust and cold air along wiht other little things and iwas wondering what you guys launch at
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
ZEmadman

Re: launching RPM

Post by ZEmadman »

im in a stock gs and usally launch at 3000 w/feathering quickly and that seems to do well...i've only dumped a few times from around 4k but the wheel hop is hellatious!
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

i know what i am about to say next is going to sound dumb but how do you not dump ? i always dump
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

slowly walking the clutch out is feathering, it can burn up a clutch but gives you good launches without lots of wheel spin
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Originally posted by papa roached:
slowly walking the clutch out is feathering, it can burn up a clutch but gives you good launches without lots of wheel spin
A light weight flywheel works well with this too. Having a Aftermarket performace clutch does as well. I have been very content with my centerforce dual friction, its uhh 90% over stock for the application it was for, which was not my motor to begin with =]

Either way with it i can launch at 6-7k on the track without wheel hop or asstons of wheelspin.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Ideally you want to have the motor at powerband, then feather the clutch out as quickly as possible (while trying to keep the motor in powerband) while not letting the clutch out too fast so you don't break traction. This is hard on the clutch but it keeps the traction/power ration at its best (max power while still retaining traction). Also, lightened flywheels are actually bad for launching. What happens is there isn't enough rotational inertia when you let the clutch out and the engine RPMs drop, so you have to give it the gas to add more power to keep the power/traction ratio at equilibrium - a ZE has enough power to do this but a 1.6L 4cyl does not and I doubt a K8 does either - so to reiterate, without at least a KLZE the engine's force alone is not strong enough to bring you to this power/traction equilibrium without the help of a heavier flywheel. Lightened flywheels are really made for auto-x...

<small>[ September 01, 2004, 03:57 AM: Message edited by: mdavis ]</small>
GS-R SE
Fixin's

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”