Did I get ripped off??

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
manowar821
Supporting Member

Did I get ripped off??

Post by manowar821 »

I got my baby in feb. and its the sohc RS from 1992.
Now most of you would say that this engine is supposed to have 16 valves correct? As it says in this page:

http://www.mx-3.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=000008

Now, when I first saw my engine, I noticed it was an 8 valve sohc... I thought nothing of it, I thought it was right.
OKAY, did I get ripped the ***k off or is that page I learned this from wrong? Or just possibly, did I read something wrong, which is entirely possible..
Sam Baker

Re: Did I get ripped off??

Post by Sam Baker »

i think there are two models, the sohc and dohc. guess u just got the sohc.. which a lotta people have. the 88hp one i believe ;) so unless the guy TOLD you it was a dohc, you didnt get ripped
92 Autozam AZ3
manowar821
Supporting Member

Post by manowar821 »

Oh I know it was the sohc, and I know the bhp is about 88... However, on that page I showed you, it says that the SOHC engine that comes in the MX3 has 16 valves, and the engine that has 8 valves goes in 323's only... The engine in my car has 8v, the one that is only supposed to go in the 323's...
If I read this correctly, I have an engine that is supposed to go in the 323 ONLY.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

you sure your car has 8 valves?..how do you know? did you take out the valve cover.. I don't know much about the 4 banger mx3 but I thought they all had 16 valves :shrug:
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Rope04

Post by Rope04 »

I used to have a 93 rs 1.6...it had 16 valves ....Maybe your car someone did an engine swap...maybe you got lucky who knows..hey I know...Take some pics of the engine and put them on here so we can take a look at it.....i still have to do that...lol
Ferrari Red w/silver Metallic 92' Mx-3 GsR: Blown 5 Built motors from my past project and am going to N/A for a while as I get use to Megasquirt for proper tuning then may boost....TT setups have too much lag and too low of a power output for the rpm range i sought....Single is better and may do that in future...New project is custom Alum Mani/ with 3-4" runners...NO ?'s about my previous setup I don't want anyone to waste as Much $$$$$$ as I did...listen to BabyBlue and the those guys and go with thier F/I setups
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

iv heard of some of the early mx's coming with 8 valves. now there is an up side to this. the 8 valve notices power gains alot better than the 16V or the dohc. like intake, exaust, head work, turbo.

you could always check the vin # on the block to see if its from another car. or maybe the head went and all they had was an 8v. it all runs the same. i dont think you got ripped off. it runs. it could just be a different valve cover. you can put alot bigger valve in it, and get awsome results.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”