coilovers

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
wkdmx3gsr

coilovers

Post by wkdmx3gsr »

Are the ones from DropZone any good or would I be better off getting the ones from Ground Control. I have the KYB struts front and rear and the Cusco Camber plates for the front. does anyone else have a coilover kit for the mx-3 besides DropZone and Ground Control? I have the Intrax springs installed now but want to sell them and get coilovers for the drag strip...
1992 MAZDA MX-3 GSR 2.5LTR V-6
2005 SUBARU STI
2004 NISSAN ARMADA
http://www.cardomain.com/id/wkdmx3gsr
http://www.netuners.com
JJ

Re: coilovers

Post by JJ »

Hey if this double posts sorry....my comp. was acting wierd but anyways sorry i got the ground control ones and i was wondering where did you get ur camber plates/kit? And are they any good? Im in need of one and im shopping around for the best ones out there. :D
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Corksport has the Cusco camber plates.<p>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

id go with dropzone.. because whether its 399 bucks or 100, you'll still get a bunch of noises because of how a coilover system works. but if you want good quality, get GC they might last longer. the spring rates might be different than the dropzones too.. for the dropzones, mine were 350 and 450.. i think.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by marshmallow15:
id go with dropzone.. because whether its 399 bucks or 100, you'll still get a bunch of noises because of how a coilover system works. but if you want good quality, get GC they might last longer. the spring rates might be different than the dropzones too.. for the dropzones, mine were 350 and 450.. i think.<hr></blockquote><p>350/450....ouch.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

i know. i plan to do a suspension technique with cut coils and mazdaspeed strut combo when i have extra money to throw around.
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by marshmallow15:
i know. i plan to do a suspension technique with cut coils and mazdaspeed strut combo when i have extra money to throw around.<hr></blockquote><p>which is even worse....good work
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

i think you can get whatever spring rate you want from GC if you call them directly.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:
<p>which is even worse....good work<hr></blockquote><p>are you serious?
- team slideways
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

<p>are you serious?<hr></blockquote><p>Yes, he is. Springs aren't made to be cut. They are made to work properly only when intact. If you want a lower spring, buy the right spring.
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

reason is because there are no other springs available for the mx-3 that give a good drop (around 1.5-1.8") and ive heard that the ST springs could be cut half a coil at a time for a lower drop. are there any struts for the mx-3 that are shorter than stock struts? maybe paired with the ST springs can give a nice ride..
- team slideways
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Nobody makes a true coilover for our car. Both ground control and drop zone are coilover conversions. I was thinking of getting the suspension technique springs and cutting an inch off them also. I've heard they are a soft spring...so in my little twisted way of looking at things i figure if i cut an inch off them it will make them a tad stiffer...which will put them at a pretty decent rate and give my car a lower and more aggressive stance.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
EBUCKS

Post by EBUCKS »

Marsh, think about it. The springs used for the dropzone kit hardly sit properly, hence the clunking. If you cut half a coil on the spring or any other spring that you get, they'll be lopsided and then your spring will get caught on the top of the sleeve and feel as though it's bottoming out. Just remember that the sleeves are not a tight fit to the ID of the spring. And how can it be, cuz the spring coils have to travel.<p>To offer any help, it appears from other posts that the GC offers different spring rates. The Dropzone offers one spring rate which is 450/350. This is so that when you drop your car as far as you can (4" proposed, but only 2" max reality), you don't kill the bottom of your ride.
Plus I've been told that those KYB struts may not hold up for very long, under such stiff springs. Beware! However, the ride is insanely kick a$$! It's like riding in a 4x4 in rough terrain (try not to let your head hit the roof). :D <p>one
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

actually, the PPC coilovers are full bodied coilovers, complete with Koni shocks.<p>Anyway, the only way to lower your car more than 2" and still have it ride and handle well is to get more travel....ways to do this are top mounted camber plates, or shortening the strut body.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

What the hell are PPC coilovers? Never heard of them for the mx-3. I was under the impression that ground control and dropzone were the only companies that made "coilovers" for our car.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”