CV joints

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Coodoodxx

CV joints

Post by Coodoodxx »

Just wondering from you guys in Canada, what the average price for replacing cv joints is up here in a shop.
'93 mx-3, 1.8L V6, Red
killerpickle

Re: CV joints

Post by killerpickle »

quoted 180 by midas....
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

do it yourself...<p>its about $100 a full shaft each<p>better than doing just 1 cv joint
Coodoodxx

Post by Coodoodxx »

HA HA dood if i knew how to do them, i probably wouldn't be so oblivious to the price.
'93 mx-3, 1.8L V6, Red
odds1

Post by odds1 »

where can I get a full shaft including CV joints
for that price? Do anyone know if lowering the
car can make the CV joints/the rubber ting around it
wear faster. Because this is the third CV joint i have
to replace in less then a year. And my mazda dealer
charges me about 2400,- kroner
that's about 350USD
and that's for the CV joint only, and I have to replace it myself.

Odds
Odds, Norway
Red `93 GS, Stock
BADMX3

Post by BADMX3 »

if your cv-joints are going that quickly you want to check out the other parts around it>
such as the axle or driveshaft as known in the uk, tie rod end, lower ball joint, wishbone and suspension. lowering the car if done correctly should not have such a major part in damaging the cv joint.
Project Ravenous

Post by Project Ravenous »

They're making a lot of money off of you.

I replaced my passenger-side axle for $60(U.S.) with a $45 core charge. It is quite simple and it will require that you get slightly intimate with your car... By that I mean that you will have to jack her up; take off her tire; take off her hub-nut; take off the control link (from the sway bar to the control arm); and move her hub out of the way by disconneting it from the ball-joint and outer tie-rod. Inspect her tie-rod and ball-joint boots for wear. Pull out her axle and replace it with the new one which may require a little persuasion via a hammer. This information can all be found in a CHILTON's service/repair manual. Your problem can likely be cause by hitting a curb, a bent or misaligned part (of the aforementioned steering parts), or improper assembly (though the likelyhood of having your axle, or just the CV joint, improperly installed more than once should not be very high).

Do it yourself using a manual. You'll be happy, she'll be happy, and she'll pay you back in more ways than none.

Good luck,
Ryan
~Ravenous
unknown-13@juno.com
~Ravenous
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

I've heard that the CVs from the RX-7 work well in our MX-3s... Anyone have any information regarding this? If it is true, are we talking way better, or no point, or what? And what generation RX-7?
No more MX-3.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

yes, lowering your car will signifcantly accelerate the wear on your axles due to the fact the angles are much greater.

Don't take your car to a dealership...they always screw you over by only replacing the boots and repacking them with grease. You want remanufactured or brand new axles.

I know autozone and advance autoparts sells remanufactured axles for about $60-70 each (plus core charge). Thats what I have in my car, about 10k miles so far and no problems with them. Plus they have a lifetime warranty, so if the boots ever break I can just take them in and get another one free.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”