Rods and Pistons

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
papa roached

Rods and Pistons

Post by papa roached »

is it better to have OE piston with strong rod or high strength piston with OE rod in a mostly stock turbo motor, i know both is better but im just curious
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
maldo

Re: Rods and Pistons

Post by maldo »

With proper tuning, your rods will fail before your pistons do. The rods are weak to begin with, the pistons aren't. One of the weakest parts of the rod is actually the rod bolt which doesn't have the tensile strength to support the high hp demands. If money is a factor, get some good rods and keep the stock pistons. I would suggest Crower for the money as they can handle just about anything that is thrown at them. They are superior to Pauter from an engineering stand point but that doesn't always matter in real life. No one has reported failures with Pauter in the way that they should based on their design. :shrug:
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

k, thanx, im gathering stuff for my SOHC turbo project and i wan gonna get a shortblock to put in there and was wondering if i should change the rods for higher than 8 lbs of boost, thanx
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
maldo

Post by maldo »

If you are going higher than 12psi, than yes for longevity of the engine. Otherwise, you should be fine...no guarantees though.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

i will do it anyway, becuase 10lbs and frequent excursions to redline can take its toll

jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by maldo:
With proper tuning, your rods will fail before your pistons do. The rods are weak to begin with, the pistons aren't. <hr></blockquote><p>Even with the best tunning money has to buy, do you think the rods will fail at 15psi??<p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by papa roached:
i will do it anyway, becuase 10lbs and frequent excursions to redline can take its toll<hr></blockquote> <p>With increasing rpm's come higher inertial loads.
maldo

Post by maldo »

I have seen them fail at 10psi in both the B6 and BP. Do you feel lucky? Unfortunately Mazda realized that the B6T rods were extremely overkill for the NA B6 and BP so they used the newer, lighter version which is prone to failure when boosted.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

my opinion is that they are mostly tuning errors...<p>As has been shown by people like Lauzier and Ric, stock blocked BPs can handle serious power.<p>Just my 2 cents.<p>The later B6s CANNOT, and are weak, as Chris said.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

the 1.8 gtx uses the same rods as the n/a bp and are known to hold upwards of 20psi and/or 400+hp.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by cre8v mx3:
the 1.8 gtx uses the same rods as the n/a bp and are known to hold upwards of 20psi and/or 400+hp.<hr></blockquote><p>
Or in the case of braden, upwards of 900 psi... because the turbo is so small, and is as such poor efficiency at that level, that it actually has reverse flow...<p>(inside joke if you know Braden..., not otherwise true)
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

haha....now that's funny.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
maldo

Post by maldo »

Like I said, I have seen them fail as low as 10psi. Boost levels really aren't the determining factor here. Look at all the '99 model BPs with thrust bearing failure, just a simple machining error that Mazda likes to deny. The rods themselves aren't always the problem though, the bolt is the weakest point structurally. The bearings also tend to deteriorate at a quick rate, soon sending the rod thru the block.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Speaking of bolt's and studs, I'm a firm believer in doing things right the first time. For me, I just didn't have the funds to sink any more money into the BP-t. I would have liked to replace all of the bolt's with studs, including the cyl head bolts just to insure everything was going to stay put. I did'nt, and I regret it for my engines sake.<p>When I built the engine, I was concerned with how much I had to torque these bolts in order to achieve a good oil clearence. I later read that over torqueing the bolts would result in lowering the tensile strength of these bolts; certainly not a good thing. I did'nt torque them but 6-8ftlbs over per bolt using the fatory specs. This included main and rod bearing bolts. This put some doubt in my mind as to how well this was going to hold up. Any thoughts?
maldo

Post by maldo »

When I rebuilt my B6T I was re-using the factory bolts. I didn't have my torque wrench with me so I used my gf's Dad's wrench which is fairly old. Obviously it wasn't calibrated properly as I snapped one of the bolts, believe it or not I only went about 10ft-lbs too far. I switched to ARP head studs after that.
UnkleDuke

Post by UnkleDuke »

In this discussion about rods and such...I'm having second thoughts about boosting my 92 RS. It has about 190 000 on it. I am wondering about these claims about the sohc being able to run up to ten pounds boost with proper fueling and cooling.
Any thoughts?
No Sig

Return to “Forced Induction”