coper intercooler pipes?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
tiburon

coper intercooler pipes?

Post by tiburon »

Has anyone ever herd of anyone using copper tubing to run intercooler lines? They can hold more psi they we would ever need and sodering is good up to about 350(to be safe) degrees. They have thin walls which is good for cooling(like one giant 7' x 2.5" round intercooler) and you can buy them polished. Can anyone help me by telling me why no one has done this before?
ryanlindenberg

Re: coper intercooler pipes?

Post by ryanlindenberg »

are you talking about using a big copper pipe AS an intercooler? if you are an intercooler would work much better. the more surface area the better the cooling. if you've ever taken those little fins out of an intercooler or radiator you will realize that there is ALOT of surface area there. my suggestion, don't use a copper pipe as an intercooler.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

I'm sure he means using copper pipe to and form the intercooler. the extra cooling effect he's talking about is from the air against the copper pipe.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
tiburon

Post by tiburon »

vis is right, sorry if I wasn't clear. I was thinking of running 2" to and from the intercooler. Does anyone know why this wouldn't work?
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

where can u get it from?
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
tiburon

Post by tiburon »

I can get 2" copper from a few pluming stores and a friend of mine. I'm not a welder but I can sweat pipes and this just seems like a easy and cheaper option for me.
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

pointless cause you will never exceed the limits of a nice intercooler. the material does conduct heat a little better but for our needs it isnt worth it.
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Although it would look quite original. I think it would be kinda kewl. Can you get the bends in the copper like you'd need?
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
tiburon

Post by tiburon »

Yeah I can buy most of the bends off the shelf. Neven even thought of what it would look like :) I just want something I can run for cheap. I was talking to a friend of a friend about his turbo sh*t-vic and a local shop charged him $1500us to run custom pipes from his turbo and he dosen't even have an intercooler. It was a beautiful job but not $1500 beautiful. It wouldn't be that expensive for just IC line but if he charges like that I don't even want to know.

Return to “Forced Induction”