Why B6T than BPT

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
justin h

Why B6T than BPT

Post by justin h »

I understand the differences in the engines, but was wondering why many of you decide to do the B6T swap instead of the BPT swap. There is a significant difference in HP. Is it the price? Is it easier to do? Why???<p>[ February 06, 2002: Message edited by: justin h ]
Manach

Re: Why B6T than BPT

Post by Manach »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by justin h:<BR><STRONG>I understand the differences in the engines, but was wondering why many of you decide to do the B6T swap instead of the BPT swap. There is a significant difference in HP. Is it the price? Is it easier to do? Why???<P></STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, you got some reasons :<P>-Money<BR>-Work needed<BR>-Personnal feeling<BR>-And so on..<P>From what I have seen, some people change to be proud of there little baby. With a little more power, offered by the b6t, we feel a little difference. Why go to the edge, when all you need is a little more.<P>With the b6t, you got less parts to change, which mean less money, and less time.<P>And heard the BPT is a little harder to find. So, with the b6t, you could do a swap faster, and easier, or wait..<P>Blah, those are my two cents :) But many reasons exist to go with one engine, or the other. Even heard some people might be trying the F series engine... I wish to see one of those little car at some time :)
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

actually, the amount of work is about the same, just in different areas. with the bpt, you need a new tranny. fairly simple to install since it fits the same spot as the stock tranny. with the b6t, you have to cut a hole in your hood because the intake manifold sticks up further. the bpt really isn't that hard to get a hold of. if you were to order the b6t, it would take about the same amount of time to get them(CS currently has several bpt's in stock) i'd say that mostly it's the cost of the engine and personal preference.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
justin h

Post by justin h »

Also, is there any way to avoid the problem of breaking the transmission if you have a BPT w/ Protege transmission. I hear it is the strongest setup, but it still breaks. I know breaking stuff is inevitable, but what can be done to put off fate? <P>I've already had to deal with breakng a transmission and it's no fun. Do most break from racing from a stop or does it just break because it can't handle the power. <P>Do any of you know about a treatment for the transmission that makes it stronger (cryogenic???, static something???) I've heard of some Eclipse GST owners doing this because their transmissions alway explode. Anyone know anything about this or how much it cost?
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

protegests would know more about this than i would, but from what i've gathered, the pro lx tranny can hold quite a bit of power. somewhere around 300+ to the wheels. i've heard of people getting their tranny gears shot peened(sp) which strengthens them.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics

Return to “Forced Induction”