Door panels...

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Ainu69

Door panels...

Post by Ainu69 »

Alright, need some suggestions i have just put my second coat of resin on the door panels where there fabric used to be. I am about to sand it with a 50 grade, then 80 grade, then finally 120 grade to make it all smooth.

Now the kicker. Do i base coat the panal white first before i paint it the color i want, or do i just paint the over the resin.

The product that i am useing is called Krylon Fusion, it works on resin, vinyl, plastic etc.. i just wonder if it would take better to base coat instead of just painting right over the sanded resin.

any suggestions would be much apreciated.

thanks chris

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/555290/5
10-4
Dot.Zero

Re: Door panels...

Post by Dot.Zero »

You may find that after you go sanding with 120 grit paper and painting ther will be visible scratches. I use resin all the time and before I paint I sand down to 300 grit paper, then go over with hi-build primer and sand again with 1200 grit. The hi-build primer will fill all of the small scratches left over from sanding. After you get that smooth look go over with primer than paint. For the best overall look let your paint fully cure and wetsand with 2000 grit paper and hand polish to a high luster.
Without signs in the world we would be lost. Wheres your sign?? HARSHFX SIGNS
Ainu69

Post by Ainu69 »

So i figured a primer would fill in the scratchs because there is a fair bit of them, but even wetsand with the primer still on? i never thought of that. i did wet sand the door with a 220 wet sand and it made it nice and smooth.

you also said after its primed and pained, use a 2000 wet sand on the paint?

not 100% what that would do, but make me paint it again.

question tho, there are little grooves all around where the fabric was in, got some resin in the sides any ideas how to get it out.

thanks chris
10-4
Jon_Carnie

Post by Jon_Carnie »

i'm in the middle of priming mine right now and will be painting them tonight, then i'm using screen window spline in that little groove to cover any imperfections.. :shrug:
Dot.Zero

Post by Dot.Zero »

wet sanding with 2000 them a final buffing will take out any spray marks. The paint will look smooth as glass. As for the ripples in the fabric I use bond lite to fill in any imperfections then sand it smooth. The resin I put on is to harden the fabric. The bond lite will fill all grooves!!!
Ainu69

Post by Ainu69 »

*the fabric I use bond lite to fill in any imperfections then sand it smooth.*

With the bond light, if you did have to fill any imperfections, id you then have to repaint again? because i think once i do that with the bond lite, it will more then likely have to be painted again.

this is probely way over my head and i can see some problems already hopefully i can get this to look good we will see soon.

chris
10-4
Dot.Zero

Post by Dot.Zero »

Ok I am getting ppl confused now!!
Here are the basic steps!
1)brush resin onto the fabric on the doors.
2)after the resin cures apply Bondo Lite to fill in and imperfections.
3)Sand Bondo down to a smooth finish.
4)Primer surface! Wet sand 300 grit paper.
5) Paint the project!
6) After paint cures, wetsand using 2000 grit paper.
7) After wetsanding buff paint to a high luster!

Hope this clarifies! Sorry if I confused anyone. When my Dig. Camera is returned from HP! I will post step by steps for beginners!
Ainu69

Post by Ainu69 »

I have primed it already, and have noticed some problems, i was wondering is alright to bondo on the primer? if so all i would do is put the bondo on sand and then re-prime. i think thats the how it works.

please spread some light

chris
10-4
n_o_s_21

Post by n_o_s_21 »

bondo over primer is ok as long as it is reprimed again, if you are using a solid darker color, wetsand with 400 grit before paint. if using a lighter color you will want to use 600 or finer to wetsand. for a urithane paint or glossy enamel, you wont need to wetsand, if you take your time and don't rush it. same goes with base/clear, but you can add coats of clear to brighten the color and smooth the imperfections.
Ainu69

Post by Ainu69 »

Well the job of resin and sanding the doors failed pretty bad, now i have to get them re-apolstiyed with fabric, which isn't going to be to bad, i just did a terrible job.

i guess you learn from your mistakes.

chris
10-4
n_o_s_21

Post by n_o_s_21 »

sorry to hear. I failed miserably at tinting my firt window. Somethings you just get someone else to do I guess. I hope your panels turn out good after you are done.

Return to “Appearance”