Newbie with question to help pass inspection

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Stuart

Newbie with question to help pass inspection

Post by Stuart »

I have a 1992 MX-3 4CYL 1.6L which failed its MD inspection needing "replacement front left brake hose" $140 US and "replace tranmission mounting bolt" $140 US - does anyone know whether these are jobs that a novice mechanic can do or do they need special tools and knowledge...?

Thanks for any feedback and for the forum!

Stuart
Claff

Re: Newbie with question to help pass inspection

Post by Claff »

Holy toledo, they check that much stuff?

I have to have my 92 GS inspected before I can register it there and I thought all I'd have to do was a brake job. If they're going to check motor mounts and all that stuff, well, hoo boy, who knows what surprises they'll find in a 14 year old 140,000 mile car....

I took my year-old Hyundai through inspection and it was a breeze last year, don't think I'll be so lucky with the funmobile when I get around to having that registered and inspected.
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Originally posted by Stuart:
I have a 1992 MX-3 4CYL 1.6L which failed its MD inspection needing "replacement front left brake hose" $140 US and "replace tranmission mounting bolt" $140 US - does anyone know whether these are jobs that a novice mechanic can do or do they need special tools and knowledge...?

Thanks for any feedback and for the forum!

Stuart
Honestly that seems real shady. I used to do state inspections in texas and Unless you asked for quotes on what it takes to pass there not supposed to do that. Thats in texas anyways. Then again you could take it somewhere else and see if they pass it.

Depends on which section of brake line your running but it shouldnt be that difficult. The bolt might be difficult to get to.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Yo man just pay $50 to get an inspection sticker. I've had 3 cars in my life and I've never gotten one of them inspected. Its not necessary to pay $35 and risk failing if someone could make one for like $15 more without ever even seeing the car. :idea:
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Well guys you may be right...I checked the state requirements and the transmission mount is not applicable to passing inspection - a Motor Mount is but I passed on that so this place maybe trying to do a little up selling "TOTAS 2" on Fenton St Silver Spring...

I shall confront them with the news and see what's up..

Thakns again for taking the time.

Stuatr
jplar

Post by jplar »

Originally posted by Illa Killa:
Yo man just pay $50 to get an inspection sticker. I've had 3 cars in my life and I've never gotten one of them inspected. Its not necessary to pay $35 and risk failing if someone could make one for like $15 more without ever even seeing the car. :idea:
I don't suppose that's an entirely legal option, is it?
seneca

Post by seneca »

LOL....no quite but a good one!
My Car Domain Page:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/496099

Take a Look, leave a comment, and don't forget to vote.
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Thats a very small detail... :D Either way its the easiest way to get it done without having to worry. And whos gonna know if its legal or not??
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”