cv boots

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Genesis74

cv boots

Post by Genesis74 »

For anyone who has replaced their cv boots (outer).<p>After looking in the manual (m-027), Is it as easy as it looks. Just pry the axle out of the transaxle, separate the axle, hammer the rest out of the wheel hub???<p>I want to complete the project this weekend.<p>Thanks,
James
andy

Re: cv boots

Post by andy »

its never as easy as it looks. for most the hardest part is removing the axle nut. if you can get beyond that it gets easier.
most people just replace the entire assembly with a rebuilt one. I personnally just replaced the outer boots, $7.99 each.
If all your replacing is the outer boots you do not have to take the axle out of the tranny.
one of the tricks to replacing just the boot is removing and cleaning the old grease and grime off the joint. Once again I went through the trouble of disassembling the joint,inner and outer races and the balls and cleaning everything with mineral spirits and repacking it with new grease supplied with the boot kit. that part is a little tricky, kinda reminded me of playing with a rubbicks cube.
Andy P. 93 GS

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”