red line water wetter

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
93-Spec-Edn

red line water wetter

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

Hi

I am thinking of adding redline water wetter since i read on the mx-3 gsr page it slightly lowers the position of the temp needle and can assist the engine in running cooler. My question is does anyone use this? Does it work? AND MOST IMPORTANT will it damage my car in any way?

Thanks
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: red line water wetter

Post by IanL »

No, it won't damage your car, and no, it won't lower your temperature, which is kept at the correct figure by the thermostat. What it does is improve the heat transfer between the engine and the air which cools the radiator, which is an issue in racing cars, where they keep things as light as possible, so narrow pipes (less water, less weight) and small radiators.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
ikarus1

Post by ikarus1 »

it does cool your engine better regardless of the thermostat, and no it won't damage anything but your wallet.

The stuff works to help water absorb heat better, therefore the better cooling properties. Not much, but might help you run more timing etc.
93 White MX-3 "Ebay special"
94 Green 626 V6 5-speed "family car"
94 Mazda B2300 SE "project turbo truk"
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Sorry, but I don't agree. What you say about the properties of water wetter is correct, but the only time a stock engine will get benefit from water wetter is if the thermostat is wide open and unable to get the engine cool enough. That simply isn't going to occur unless there is a defect in the cooling system. And if there is, the thing to do is to fix the defect, not add water wetter.
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

IanL is 150% correct!

If you want to buy expensive coolant get some Evans NPG. It lasts forever, has a very, very high boiling point, transfers heat better, can be used at 0 pressure so coolant seals last longer and won't corrode anything in the engine.

http://www.evanscooling.com/main21.htm

<small>[ June 17, 2004, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: TsiMiata ]</small>
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

So would I be right in assuming that I will be at no benefit putting this in my car?
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by Ayaz:
So would I be right in assuming that I will be at no benefit putting this in my car?
I don't know about the Redline kind, but I know the Royal Purple watter wetter says: "Purple Ice® prevents the formation of scale deposits in the radiator for optimum coolant flow and lubricates the seals of the water pump."
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by lakersfan1:
Originally posted by Ayaz:
I don't know about the Redline kind, but I know the Royal Purple watter wetter says: "Purple Ice® prevents the formation of scale deposits in the radiator for optimum coolant flow and lubricates the seals of the water pump."
I'd expect any reasonable quality anti-freeze to do that, and more.
ikarus1

Post by ikarus1 »

Sorry but I have watched Water Wetter work on many stock and modified cars. My Sentra had 1500 miles on it, and the temp needle always stayed at halfway at operating temp solid as a rock. I drained the antifreeze about 12 oz and dumped in a bottle of water wetter. Guess what? The needle backed off a notch toward the "C" and has stayed there ever since. Good enough for me to run a few more degrees advance timing on regular octance since the heads are running cooler.....

the proof is in the pudding, not in internet "bench racing". There is a reason redline sells so much of that stuff, because it works, both in straight water and antifreeze...
93 White MX-3 "Ebay special"
94 Green 626 V6 5-speed "family car"
94 Mazda B2300 SE "project turbo truk"
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Originally posted by J Love:
Sorry but I have watched Water Wetter work on many stock and modified cars. My Sentra had 1500 miles on it, and the temp needle always stayed at halfway at operating temp solid as a rock. I drained the antifreeze about 12 oz and dumped in a bottle of water wetter. Guess what? The needle backed off a notch toward the "C" and has stayed there ever since. Good enough for me to run a few more degrees advance timing on regular octance since the heads are running cooler.....

the proof is in the pudding, not in internet "bench racing". There is a reason redline sells so much of that stuff, because it works, both in straight water and antifreeze...
Agreed! I have used it in two vehicles. 69 Roadrunner and a 72 vega. Both vehicles did show a difference after using redline.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

OK, I have to accept it works; but how? Only thing I can think of is that it assists in the heat transfer between the water and the thermostat, so the thermostat gets hotter than it normally would for a given water temperature, so it opens a bit more, and settles at a higher flow, keeping the engine temperature lower.

For some cars, you can buy a "cool" thermostat, which would do the same thing at a lot lower cost - I don't know if that applies to ours, though.
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Originally posted by IanL:
...OK, I have to accept it works; but how?...
Best explanation I've seen...

http://e30m3performance.com/myths/more_myths1/Water_Wetter/water_wetter.htm
bubbaflaat

Post by bubbaflaat »

In a nutshell, it gives boiling/ or close to boiling water more surface area by eliminating the bubbles coming off the walls of the radiator. If you want to test it out, go buy some water wetter, and bring a pot of water on the stove close to boiling and dump the water wetter in, and you will understand. I work at Advance Auto Parts, and we had a display on these product. Yes, it does work, and no you will not see your temp gauge at a lower temp. :2thumbsup:
THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED, DO NOT DEAL WITH HIM. - MX-3.com Admin
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

Originally posted by cjthor:
Originally posted by J Love:

Agreed! I have used it in two vehicles. 69 Roadrunner and a 72 vega. Both vehicles did show a difference after using redline.
WHat kind of a difference?
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Bubbaflaat:
.....Yes, it does work, and no you will not see your temp gauge at a lower temp. :2thumbsup:
I have to say that makes sense to me; just that when someone says his needle is lower, and I haven't tried it.......

I didn't think much of that theory of mine how the needle could be lower, and I'm much happier (in a technical sense) to hear it won't.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”