KLZE coolant issue

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mdavis

KLZE coolant issue

Post by mdavis »

Hey. So I just smarted up my ZE for the first time abut an hour ago.. Everything seemed ok and I let it idle a while and monitored it, making sure the fluids were ok / there was enough coolant / etc. Well, after a few minutes the coolant filler neck (the the (3?) sensors) get really really hot. On the other end of the radiator, by the overflow container, the coolant is still cold... (But it's almost boiling on the passenger side...) I didn't tap a new hole in the coolant neck for the 3rd sensor, because I heard it didn't matter with a '94-up ECU (I got a KL36 ECU from Lazzyie - I assumed it was a '94+ but i don't actually know for sure) Could this be what's causeing my coolant problem? Help would be oh so appreciated... BTW, I did search.. lookes like someone ese had the same problem, but it was never resolved in the forum.. Thanks for the help guys
GS-R SE
Fixin's
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: KLZE coolant issue

Post by IanL »

I think it might be an airlock. Let everything cool. Open the filler cap and top up. Leave the cap off and idle the engine. Watch the level and top up as it drops. After a few minutes with no further movement, put the cap back on. Then run it at 2,500 rpm for 5 minutes, with a few bursts to 3,000 rpm. Cool down, open filler, top up and repeat as necessary.

If it's not that, the thermostat could be stuck shut.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Stupid question, i know, but there is the thermostat? Also, I noticed a difference between the two engines.. Under the driver-side the radiator pipe (that goes into the block under the alternator) there is some other (8mm?) hose connector poking out underneath the bigger radiator hose. When I was filling the coolant i noticed it pooring out that little connector.. so i pulled some sort of medium-sized hose off the EGR on the K8 , stuck a bolt in the end, and stuck it on the hose connector under the acternator that was leaking.. I didn't see this same connector on the K8... Am I missing something?
GS-R SE
Fixin's
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

BTW the air lock thing isn't really working..
GS-R SE
Fixin's
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

afaik all jspec ecu's need that third sensor
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Are you serious? So I have to tap that now? Well I already have the tap.. i guess I'll just drain the liquid in there, disconnect the hose, stick a magnet on a string up there or something, and tap it and pull the metal shavings out with the magnet... But, would that keep my coolant from flowing? I already tried connecting the sensor and letting it hang there, and also just dropping it into the liquid with the filler neck open... No luck..
GS-R SE
Fixin's
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Lack of the third sensor will not stop coolant flow. It's there to control the cooling fans - I believe that people with KLZEs have found that, without it, the ECU will simply run the main fan continuously.

As the airlock removal drill didn't help, I guess there isn't an airlock. According to the Haynes Manual, the KLDE thermostat is mounted on the driver's (USA/Canada/Continental Europe) side of the engine, in the casting to which is bolted a large diameter pipe, which has the bottom hose from the radiator connected to it. It looks the same as the K8 arrangement. Hope that helps.

<small>[ June 15, 2004, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

I replaced the KL's thermostat with the old K8's (we know that one works) But it's still not flowing... Im off to get a 13/32 drill bit now for my tap for the 3rd sensor, just to be thorough.. I really don't know what is it. It's annoying that my KL is in and running and I can't drive it! lol Again, any help is oh so much appreciated..
GS-R SE
Fixin's
RobertoCarlos

Post by RobertoCarlos »

How would not having the third sensor impede coolant flow. As far as I know the sensors are only to determine when the rad fan kicks in and out in conjuction with the thermostat. I could very well be wrong. I would also like to know because I have a 95 mx with a ze and ze ecu and I want to know it that is something I should check. I have an aftermarket temp gauge and it only read a bit higher than my old k8 and thats just because the ze runs a little hotter right?
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Roberto, I see that now. I didn't think it had anything to do with flow but it seemed a logical possibility seeing as how the cooling system wasn't working and there was a sensor missing... Anyways, the thermostat from the K8 didn't help. My dad has an old friend who runs a radiator shop - we called him and he says he's seen this problem several other times with similar situations (a used motor that hasn't been run in a while) - the water softens grime and whatever else that has settled, and cloggs the system. So, I took my radiator down to him this evening, he's going to flush it. He also let me borrow this water gun of his, you hook a hose up, and a compressor, and blast it through your block. Well I did that this evening, it appears to have worked well, it really blasted throught my system.... Anyways, now I'll just pick up the radiator comorrow morning and I SHOULD be good to go....
GS-R SE
Fixin's
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

better yet buy a high performance fan so it can be on all the time and it doesnt matter
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Originally posted by DavidOS:
better yet buy a high performance fan so it can be on all the time and it doesnt matter
wtf
GS-R SE
Fixin's

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”