vacuum chamber missing

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

vacuum chamber missing

Post by babyblueMX3 »

Hi guys, I just noticed that my millenia a-spec intake manifold is missing the vaccum chambers...( 1 or 2?)...does it affect performance or any other thigns on the car? thanks for any inputs
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: vacuum chamber missing

Post by IanL »

They are needed to work the VRIS, and not having the VRIS working will certainly affect performance. I think someone posted that the chambers from the K8 manifold will fit.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

the thing is the vris system is working properly :shrug: ....notmally there's a vacuum going from the intake manifold to the vacuum chambers and then to the vris solenoids right?..but mine goes straight from the manifold to the vris solenoids.
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

It sounds like someone has plugged the pipe entries to the reservoirs; that's why you see your VRIS working when the engine is unloaded. The thing you don't have is the storage for vacuum - when you're accelerating with WOT, the engine vacuum falls to almost nil (Ever driven a REALLY old car with vacuum operated wipers?). If, at that point, the revs reach a VRIS operating value, there isn't enough vacuum to operate the valve.

That's the theory - you can prove or disprove it by observing on a dyno. I believe it, because Mazda wouldn't have gone to the expense of fitting it for no benefit.

<small>[ June 05, 2004, 03:07 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

Mine came with no chambers too. I just used my K8 ones, but they DO NOT bolt up to the curved-neck manifold. I had to ziptie them to my throttle cable and run vac lines to the VRIS solenoids, kinda a pain, but works.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
RobertoCarlos

Post by RobertoCarlos »

So the vacuum chambers are needed to run the VRIS properly. If that is this case then why did both babyblue and gro harlems mani both come without them. If you get the actual jspec mani, will it come with the everything like the vacuum chambers and VRIS solenoids?
RobertoCarlos

Post by RobertoCarlos »

One More thing babyblue, did you notice a huge perofmance increase when you put the ms8 manifold and tb on the klze
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

Originally posted by RobertoCarlos:
One More thing babyblue, did you notice a huge perofmance increase when you put the ms8 manifold and tb on the klze
huge difference over k8 mani and TB...lots of torque trough all the powerband
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”