OBX Headers, need help

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Merlin

OBX Headers, need help

Post by Merlin »

Hi guys!

I'm a newbe and I need your help. I brought the OBX Headers for my 92 GSR Mx-3 but as you maybe saw, they dosen't fit well. I know that I will have to re-locate de hole for the front o2 sensor but I don't know What I sould do to clear the cross member and the oil pan.

Someone told me to add a 3 inch at the end of each headers and cut the shifter bar to put a curve in it. :idea:

Thank you very much! :2thumbsup:

Merlin :froggie_red:
-----------
daudli@hotmail.com
Merlin

Re: OBX Headers, need help

Post by Merlin »

So... nobody was has much crasy to brought those??

Merlinator!
-----------
daudli@hotmail.com
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

you could try contacting OBX and exchange the old style headers with the new Direct fit style.

try www.street-import.com and contact someone there to see if you can excange them.

http://street-import.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=152

<small>[ April 12, 2004, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: curtklze ]</small>
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

let me know how the possiable exchange goes
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

When I spooke to Patrick, the manager of Street import, it was impossible to exchange them. I have to sell them by myself to a probe or mx-6 guy.

My problem is that I dont have time to wait for the new OBX. They will be ready in 2-3-4-5 months... I need to do it right now.

I'm gonna try something, I will add a 3.75 inch to them and it may be fit but I have to put more money that I paid for the set... that REALY PIIS ME OFF! :mad: :rant2:

Merlin

<small>[ April 12, 2004, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: Merlin ]</small>
-----------
daudli@hotmail.com
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

I just put a set of hotshot headers on my car. The headers cleared everything just fine. I did have to make a new header to catback section with a new hi flow cat. The cat was $55 shipped and I had to get $5 in flanges and an 18" piece of exhaust pipe. The hotshots are more money but they fit the engine, clear everything and are in stock @ www.rr-racing.com

The OBX ones may start out cheaper but when your done screwing around you've spent almost as much for a hacked up set of headers.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

yeah, If I knew it!!!

Well, I just take the to the shop who will re-touch them for me. I asked to add a 4 inch to each flange of headers. I think That I'll clear the frame and the cross member.
I also ask te relocate the o2 sensor hole 1.5 inch above the original hole.

I'll tell you the results. It cost me 320$ canadian. :rant2:

Merlin
-----------
daudli@hotmail.com
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

I bought a set of the old style headers. I have not attempted to installed them as of yet. They are just sitting in the garage.

I was assured by Pat that they would bolt right up:

My question to Pat:
"> Will these bolt right up to the stock exhaust system, or will there need
to be custom work done to get them to fit?"

His Answer:
"Hi, yes they fit perfectly, they are totally brand new made for the mx3 V6,
KL08 or KLZE (Also fit on
Probe and MX6 V6)"

According to other peoples install stories, his info is false. I can't say at this point since I haven't tried to install them myself, but as far as I know, all mx3 gs's are the same, so the install should not be different from one year to another.

So if Pat reads this, he could respond and say for sure what needs to be done to install these headers in a mx3...
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
Street-Import
Supporting Member

Post by Street-Import »

We didnt installed the older design headers ourselves. But we sold a few sets at the beginning and had a few customers install them on their Mx-3 and we had very good reviews to confirm the fitment. From there we mentionned that it will fit with minor modifications. As for the new design you can see the installation process on our website, we tested out by ourself and helped for the fitment and design.

Here is a few related Post:
http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=004139

http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=003711

http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=004076

The older design are made for the Mx6 & Probe V6 but can be adapted to fit the Mx3 easily from what we heard.

Here is what a customer mentionned from one of these posts:

"the install went very nicely. I had to grind the flanges a little, to get them to clear the shift linkage and oil pan. But I do think it made a difference in top end power. Yes I did get the one with the egr bung on the wrong side. I just said screw it and plugged it "

"The headers themselves bolted up perfect. But you still had to grind the flanges and bend the y-pipe a little to make it clear the shift linkages, and oil pan. Yeah, i've driven around now with the egr blocked, and everything seems to be fine, no codes or check engine light. I haven't gotten the cat moved back yet so I can't tell you about the sound with the rest of the exhaust hooked up, but i'll let you know this week what its like. Yeah, the O2 sensers all match up fine. On the rear header the O2 senser bung is located on the opposite side of the manifold, compaired to stock. But the O2 sensor wires are plenty long and it doesn't even matter. Other than that. These headers are great, for $170 you can't loose! I started installing the at like 8:00 on friday, and finished at like 3:00 in the morning. But I sat there a long time trying to figure some things out. Go for it guys, they difinatly look better than Pacesetter, and they install easier too. "

"I just installed ssautochrome headers today. The hardest part is the egr line. But I just made a blockoff plate and plugged the line."

Hope this help... About the exchange we were liquidating the older design on ebay due to the few minor problems (EGR not in the right place) and need to grind the flanges... They are not produced anymore since over 2 months.

The new version similar to the "Hotshot" will be ready in approx a month.

Also watch out our new Turbo kit V6 coming out soon. Turbo headers made for the mx3, T3/T4 hybrid turbo, wastegate tial style and blow off valve. Everything you need for your turbo setup.

<small>[ April 16, 2004, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Street-Import ]</small>
Pie006

Post by Pie006 »

Turbo headers for mx-3??? FINALLY!!! :-) But I hope to see the turbo fit in the engine bay first just like u guys showed us how the new design headers fit.

Thanks for the great info Pat
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

is there a possiable ETA on these
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Jon_Carnie

Post by Jon_Carnie »

i'd also like to know if there is a date that the turbo kit might be ready...
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

As I said, I did the modification that I said above. I just finished to bolt them on the engine:

I've cleared the oil pan, the cross member and the frame easily. I also clear the clutch cylinder.

I Have a last problem now; the "y" pipe go true de second shift rod... this rod seam to be a fix rod. I think I have to curve it to clear le "y" pipe... but: I don't understand how this thing works... someone can explain it to me?

Merlin
-----------
daudli@hotmail.com
bubbaflaat

Post by bubbaflaat »

I have these headers on my k8. You have to bend and tweak things a bit. But in the end its worth it. If you don't know what you are doing I wouldn't recomend trying this yourself.
THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED, DO NOT DEAL WITH HIM. - MX-3.com Admin
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Merlin:
...I Have a last problem now; the "y" pipe go true de second shift rod... this rod seam to be a fix rod. I think I have to curve it to clear le "y" pipe... but: I don't understand how this thing works... someone can explain it to me?

Merlin
I think the rod you are talking about is actually the "extension bar". It provides a seating for the shift lever, which moves with the engine and transmission. If you bend it, it won't reach to the same place in the car, which might affect the gearshift if the amount of movement is more than maybe a quarter of an inch. EDITED: A small amount will just move the bottom of the lever rearwards, which will move the top forwards - you will have to lean forward more for 1, 3 and 5th. :(

<small>[ April 26, 2004, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”