KLZE into a ODBII car

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

KLZE into a ODBII car

Post by Spinkx79 »

I was supposed to have swapped in a KLZE in to my '96 MX-3 last week. I postphoned it when I found out about the ODB... crap.

I am buying a KLZE, KL36, with a JE50. I want all jdm stuff, no millenia intake, no egr, no emmisions junk.

What are my options?

1. Change the wiring harness to an ODBI (how much?)
2. Use the original harness and dont use the extra connectors
3. ???

I understand the OBDII has a lot of diagnostic and emmissions stuff, as dumb as this may sound, can't I just hook everything up and cut off whatevers left?
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: KLZE into a ODBII car

Post by Custommx3 »

the only difference between a KLZE IM and a Millenia, is a metal plate covering where the EGR should go thats held on by 2 bolts.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Alot of rewiring work I'd think. Why not just get a domestic OBD2 KLDE? I think the domestic Millenia OBD2 was rated at something like 172HP or something. Then, if you need the extra 25 HP, you could get some Interprep cams.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Spinkx79:
.... as dumb as this may sound, can't I just hook everything up and cut off whatevers left?
In short, no.

The ECU is very different in terms of its connectors, both in pin assignments and the form of the connectors. An OBD2 harness must have an OBD2 ECU.

Even where the connectors are the same, the cable colours are different, and, at least in one case (disty), the pin assignments are changed.

<small>[ February 16, 2004, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
HFStuart

Post by HFStuart »

Custom engine management (like Motec) would work but would probably be very expensive. Costs in the UK for a turbo car come in at about £2500.

You may well be able to find something cheaper, if you have the budget it's got to be the best solution.

Stuart
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

If the budget were that big, maybe it would be cheaper to pay an auto electrician to convert the harness to OBD1?
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Black Magic

Post by Black Magic »

Isn't there a way to reprogram the original obd2 ecu with the software of the kl36 ecu?

Bastian
17 inch bba racings rims, apex lowering springs, laser muffler, boost steering wheel, mazdaspeed seats, black altezza's, testpipe, oh and a polished klze with an upgraded clutch and a kl36 ecu.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

There was chap who put in a great deal of work to more or less solve the code for the OBD1 ECU, but he wouldn't touch the OBD2 because its entirely different and much more complex. The trouble is that its compiled code - you need the "software development environment" to make sense of it.

Of course, Mazda could do it.......
HFStuart

Post by HFStuart »

Perhaps it would Ian, but the big advantage of custom management is that once it's paid for it's then (relatively) cheap to adapt to ANY other mods you want to do.

Stuart
GuidoBiRiChiNo

Post by GuidoBiRiChiNo »

Wouldn't be easier to use a OBD2 KL from a 626 or Millenia?
-italian lonely MX'er-
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Yes, I have in mind, when my K8 expires, to fit a KLD from a Xedos 9, with ECU and VAF from a 95-on MX-6 or 626/Probe V6.
GuidoBiRiChiNo

Post by GuidoBiRiChiNo »

Originally posted by IanL:
Yes, I have in mind, when my K8 expires, to fit a KLD from a Xedos 9, with ECU and VAF from a 95-on MX-6 or 626/Probe V6.
Hoq many pounds would you expect to pay that engine?
-italian lonely MX'er-
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by GuidoBiRiChiNo:
Originally posted by IanL:
Hoq many pounds would you expect to pay that engine?
If I'm lucky enough to get a low mileage example (That's why I said Xedos 9, they are younger ;) )I would hope to get it for £850 to £950.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Spinx79,

I think there is a way. Use the OBD1 KLZE ECU (KL36) and get the mating connector from a scrapped OBD1 car, with about a foot of cable attached.

You then get a copy of Chilterns 46802 (covers MX-3 and Mx-6/626/Probe) and compare Diagram 7 (96on 626/Mx-6/Probe V6, i.e. OBD2) with Diagram 25 (92-95 Mx-3 V6, i.e. OBD1). You identify each input to the OBD1 ECU with its OBD2 equivalent, and ignore any OBD2 inputs which don't have an OBD1 equivalent. There are about 6 cases where its not obvious and you may need some trial and error investigation (e.g. the instrument panel connections are not labelled with function). If you could get more detailed wiring diagrams (and preferably the one for the OBD2 MX-3) it would be easier.

Use the connector and cable to make an adaptor from your OBD2 harness connector to your OBD1 ECU - I think its about 53 pins you'll have to attach sockets to ( or vice versa), making sure they don't touch in the connector.

Allow a couple of days to sort it all out.

<small>[ February 19, 2004, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
king74

Post by king74 »

Hi, everybody!!
I'm a newbie from Italy.
I'd like to know where i can find a obd2
engine for my '97 mx3.
Thanx guys
Doesn't matter if you win by a inch or a mile, the win is winning

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”