GS will not idle after rebuild - need help fast!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jasonbierschwale

GS will not idle after rebuild - need help fast!

Post by jasonbierschwale »

Hey guys,
I need some help from all you V6 guru's out there... show me what ya got! I recently rebuilt my 1993 GS. Everything went smoothly... replaced a few vacuum lines, etc. Anyway, when I go to start it up for the initial break in, it will not idle. I thought myabe it was my intake hose, as it was ripped but sealed with duct tape. I bought a new one from Mazda for $65 and still have the problem. I remember from before the rebuild, if the engine was running and I removed the oil fill cap, the engine would die. I turned the throttle stop in far enough where it will fast idle (750RPM) and removed the oil fill cap - nothing, no difference. So, I assume it's a vacuum leak. I checked all of my vacuum lines - all of them are good. I did break the check valve for the VRIS that is under the intake. I blocked the vacuum lines on either side of the check valve, so there are no leaks there.

It tries to idle, but acts like it starts missing below 750RPM. It tries to keep spinning, but gets slower and slower until it finally dies. When I am driving it, if I push in the clutch and let off the gas, it dies immediately.

One other thing - may be important, maybe not. I noticed that RPM will fluctuate between 750RPM and 1500RPM. It creeps up to 1500, then drops back to 750 real fast.... then creeps up to 1500 and drops back down to 750 real fast. It does this repeatedly. Does anyone have any ideas? I have to have this car ready for my duaghter on Monday - she starts college and has a 30 mile commute one way. Thanks!

<small>[ January 09, 2004, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: Trinity23T ]</small>
Jason B
1993 MX-3 GS
1.8 V6 5 speed
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Re: GS will not idle after rebuild - need help fast!

Post by Zoso124 »

Take a change of starting fuild and spray it around the runners where they bolt to the heads and the intake boot. If it rev's up you got a leak. Did you cap off all the unused vaccum lines on the intake. I assume you've played with the tps already. You used a timing light and set it to 10 degrees with the TEN&GND jumpered?

So your saying if you remove the Oil cap nothing happens? Is the PCV valve in and not leaking? do you have the lines that go from each valve cover routed into rubber elbow? Did you put the hose that goes to the brake booster on in the right direction?
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
jasonbierschwale

Re: GS will not idle after rebuild - need help fast!

Post by jasonbierschwale »

Wow! I'll have to go check all of this stuff. Thanks for all the information!
Jason B
1993 MX-3 GS
1.8 V6 5 speed

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”