OBDII compatible KLZE?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Redhouse

OBDII compatible KLZE?

Post by Redhouse »

i found this post searching on the possibility of swapping a klze into my 1996 GS - <p>"Hello! I have had my MX3 knock and ping ever since I swap from K8ZE to KLZE. The KLZE I got was from an OBDII car as it did not have the crank position sensor installed. As my MX3 is using OBD1, I took the crank position sensor from my old K8ZE, and install it on the new KLZE. I have done almost about everything to get rid of the "knock and ping during acceleration" problem I have been having without success, but when I tried disconnecting the crank position sensor, the problem is solved! (of course now I got that crank position sensor error code). Any idea why is this happening? Is this because the OBDII KLZE was tune to work without the crank position sensor, so the OBD1 computer just got it all wrong with the crank position sensor timing? Is my ignition auto advance/retard still working without the sensor in-place? "<p>if there are KLZE engines pulled from OBDII cars, would using one of these make a klze swap into a 1996 as easy as the traditional swap into a 1995 or earlier model GS?<p>just curious
1996 Black GS 1.8l w. PRM intake and custom exhaust, zx2 strut conversion and Intrax springs, B&M short shifter and SRD bronzoil bushings, Ractive front and rear strut bars, Raxles axles, ESpec clear markers and front signals w. driving lights, Alpine headunit with 10" JL sub, jbl amp and front speakers.

Awaiting installation: Magnecore 8.5 Comp. ignition wires, ACT Stage 1 clutch w. SS clutch line, Outlaw phenolic spacers.
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Re: OBDII compatible KLZE?

Post by Zoso124 »

OBDII isn't a style of engine but has different sensors. Which ones are different? Doubt there are many people that know here. From our knowledge the KLZE was never installed in a OBDII compliant car. <p>The reason his car ran fine with the crank angle position disconnect is because the ECU went into "limp" mode and retarded the timing. If your going to install a ZE in your 96 GS your best bet is to swap over EVERY sensor from you K8 engine to the ZE. Your only issue is what you going to do with the EGR. Besides that you should be fine. Anyone else have a 96 GS with a ZE under the hood?
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
xxtavixx

Post by xxtavixx »

KLZE was never installed into an OBDII car. Yes you can install a klze into an OBDII vehicle, but you won't want to connect the ECU unless you are really good with electronics, have no life and have unknown quantities of wire. The ECU isn't worth it, in that case.
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

There are KLZEs in 96-97 Probes On PT. So it can be done.
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Yes, I don't see what the big issue would be besides the EGR stuff.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
xxtavixx

Post by xxtavixx »

Yup! I'm an MX-6 owner, got a 96. I came very close to installed a KLZE. It is a pretty basic swap. The only thing you have to worry about is the egr, which you can tap or T off. You can't use the ECU for the OBDII's unless you convert it. When you get it make sure the heads read Kl31-101 and KL31-1A1. The runners are squared off, the VC's say "Mazda", if they say Ford I'm be a little puzzled. Remember to find a KLDE distributor, the klze doesn't use the same one.<p>If you need anything else, pm me if you want<p>--Andrew

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”