Fuel Filter

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
RaspMetalicMX3SE

Fuel Filter

Post by RaspMetalicMX3SE »

How often should it be changed and how hard are they to change? Do they cost alot?
lakersfan1

Re: Fuel Filter

Post by lakersfan1 »

Fuel filter replacement is one of the easiest things to do for your car. You just release the fuel filter from the clamp holding it in, loosen the clamps around the in and out line for the fuel, then pull out he old one and replace with the new one. You shouldn't need to pay someone to do your fuel filter for you unless you used to take the short yellow bus to school.
Mradio

Post by Mradio »

they don't cost anything, it's like $10-15 range
Check out my ride and leave some feedback please!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mradio007
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

I bought one from a 323 since it was cheaper, the steel lines coming out of it are at a different angle but its was too hard to make it fit. The only hard part is getting the rubber hoses off the steel lines. Change the filter every 60k.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
RaspMetalicMX3SE

Post by RaspMetalicMX3SE »

it's says on the Online shop manual to "release the fuel pressure from the fuel system" how do i do that?
Zoso124
Forum Moderator

Post by Zoso124 »

remove the gas cap, thats about all you can do.
Mike Evans
Gone:
SimonPK

Post by SimonPK »

or run the car & pull the fuse for the injectors - it then dies and there is no pressure anywhere.
Zoso124
Forum Moderator

Post by Zoso124 »

doesn't the fuel pump make the pressure that goes up the fuel rail?
Mike Evans
Gone:
SimonPK

Post by SimonPK »

but if the fuel pump stops and the engine is still running - the injectors & fuel rail empty (I think!)
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RaspMetalicMX3SE:
it's says on the Online shop manual to "release the fuel pressure from the fuel system" how do i do that?<hr></blockquote><p>I wouldn't worry about it. Either you can use some mini clamps to pinch the line on each side so no fuel spills, or...........<p>just deal with a little fuel spewing out. If you go this route, though, I'd be sure to let the engine cool off first. You don't want the engine to be hot enough to ignite the fuel if any hits any hot spots in your engine bay.
jordan69

Post by jordan69 »

no no no people, here is what you are REALLY supposed to do to release the fuel pressure, turn on your engine and while it is running, lift up your back seat and unplug the electrical connection to your fuel pump, when the car dies, shut it off and reconnect the wires under your back seat, also open your gas cap to relieve more pressure, there will still be some residual pressure in the line though that you cant really do anything about, i also changed my fuel filter, it cost me 50 bucks from mazda(and they were the cheapest i could find) for the filter, and it is a pain in the *** to change, you have to remove your battery, and the holder your battery sits on, and then if you have never changed your fuel filter before, the hoses will be stuck on it really good, so you have to struggle with that to get it out, and your fuel filter is located right behind your engine, closer to your transmission, it should take you about 30-60 min. to change, even longer if you have trouble getting the fuel lines off.
You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a White guy, the best golfer is a black guy, The Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

simplest solution if you want to leak NO gas is to relieve the gas tank presure by loosening the gas cap.<p>then park the car on a incline like a hill or drive it up on a curb or something. Then the fuel won't spill out.<p>thats how i did mine :p
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”