Problems with shifter bushing install

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jasonbierschwale

Problems with shifter bushing install

Post by jasonbierschwale »

Hullo again...<p>I fabbed my own bushings... they fit great! HOwever, I'm going to have to replace the bushings on the tranny side of the linkage as well. My question is this... on the tranny side of the shifter, there is what appears to be a simple U-joint. One side hooks directly to the tranny gear selector, and the other side hooks to the shift linkage. The side hooked to the tranny gear selector has a bolt that will be (relatively) easy to remove and replace the bushings on. However, the side hooked directly to the linkage is also very, very loose. It does not appear to have a bolt that can be removed, but a pin that is flared or flattened on both ends. Granted, I haven't crawled far enough under the car to get a really good look at it, but has anyone else experienced this? Is there also a bushing on this 'pin' that needs to be replaced?If so, how does one remove the 'pin'? Thanks for any help, guyz.
Jason B
1993 MX-3 GS
1.8 V6 5 speed
eunosads

Re: Problems with shifter bushing install

Post by eunosads »

I remember when I did mine I thought it would be a bit difficult to access, but once I got a spanner in there, it came out fine.. <p>and yes.. the bushes should be the same either end, and yes, both should be replaced.<p>Well done on making your own. Be sure to let us know how they perform!!<p>@ds
- EUNOS 30X -
eunosads

Re: Problems with shifter bushing install

Post by eunosads »

Jason,<p>Have you installed your bushes yet?<p>I'm interested to see how they go.<p>thanks<p>@ds
- EUNOS 30X -

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”