Really loose shifter...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jasonbierschwale

Really loose shifter...

Post by jasonbierschwale »

Hey guys, <BR> I've posted about this before, but didn't get the answer I needed. I replaced the clutch in my MX-3, but forgot to unhook the shift linkage from the tranny. When I seperated the tranny and engine, the engine dropped about 3 inches onto the support, and apparently dmagaed one of the linkage bushings. My question is, does anyone know if there is a bushing on the shifter side of the linkage? It's on top of the exhaust, and I really don't want to drop the pipe just to see if that's where the problem is. When the bushings wear out, where is it usually, and how hard are they to replace? Can you buy them? How much? What are they made of? I have access to a lathe and milling machine... would it be prudent to make my own out of PVC, aluminum, or brass? Thx!
Jason B
1993 MX-3 GS
1.8 V6 5 speed
andy

Re: Really loose shifter...

Post by andy »

yes<BR> yes <BR> and yes<P>There is a bushing at both ends that can cause the play you are experiencing. There is a bronzoil kit out there in the internet world that replaces the plastic ones that fall apart and cause the play. Me personally,<BR>I made my own like you sugested out of bronze<BR>material. works great.<BR>Andy P. 93 GS
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

<A HREF="http://WWW.SRDPERFORMACE.COM" TARGET=_blank>WWW.SRDPERFORMACE.COM</A>
andy

Post by andy »

Thanks Barry, thats the place I was thinking of. Although that site is not responding right now.<BR>Andy P. 93 GS
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

that should work, does for me.<BR><A HREF="http://www.mx3gsr.freeservers.com/srd/bushings.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mx3gsr.freeservers.com/srd/b ... .htm</A><p>[ November 08, 2002: Message edited by: Custommx3 ]
jasonbierschwale

Post by jasonbierschwale »

Barry, <BR> have you replaced yours? They say that the switch takes 15 min or so with basic hand tools. Don't you have to drop the exhaust to get to the shifter side of the linkage?
Jason B
1993 MX-3 GS
1.8 V6 5 speed
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

well, we did it when we pulled my tranny to swap a clutch, so I didnt have to remove my exhaust. It was VERY easy to install. I went from sloppy to tight ( :D) in just this simple install. If your shifter is loose, get these. Worth the money. Cant be used with an aftermarket shifter Im told.
therealstasman
Supporting Member

Post by therealstasman »

Last edited by therealstasman on February 16th, 2009, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

I was "told" that the bushings are 2 small for the new shifter. I dont have 1 to test, sorry. i was told it wouldnt fit the B&M shifter,
RayRay

Post by RayRay »

i have the pacesetter sts and i bought a set of oem shifter bushings, and they didn't fit, the bushings are too small. i guess we have to get them from pacesetter.
2005 Nissan 350z
1990 Mustang GT - [sold]
1992 Mx-3 GS - [sold]
RayRay

Post by RayRay »

to answer the question of whether i think the pacesetter sts is a good buy... YES, i got mine for $60 plus shipping from JCWhitney. i have it on the shortest setting and i love it. its notchy but its still good.
2005 Nissan 350z
1990 Mustang GT - [sold]
1992 Mx-3 GS - [sold]
therealstasman
Supporting Member

Post by therealstasman »

Last edited by therealstasman on February 16th, 2009, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RayRay

Post by RayRay »

The pacesetter came with its own set of bushings, which I used. At the time I didn't notice they were any different fromt he stock ones. But I put mine on a year ago, and a week ago I wanted to change all the bushings. Thats when I realized they were different. I would go with the pacesetter, its cheap, and if u don't like it just adjust it or put the stock one back on. I rather not mess with the stock shifter.
2005 Nissan 350z
1990 Mustang GT - [sold]
1992 Mx-3 GS - [sold]

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”