Need to hear some exhaust sounds...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jasonbierschwale

Need to hear some exhaust sounds...

Post by jasonbierschwale »

OK, the wife asked me today if we can do something about the exhaust note on our '92 MX-3(?!?!?!?) After I picked my jaw up out of my lap and recovered from the shock, I told her there was a lot we could do, but it would always have that buzzy, high, upset insect sound. We just got rid of our '96 Trans-Am, and she loved the way it sounded (two chamber flow, hooker headers). I told her we could never make it sound like the T/A, but we coul dmake it deeper. She now wants to hear what it would sound like before she approves some upgrades. Help me out guys! Let's get the bosses approval! Does anyone have a wav or mpg of their aftermarket exhaust? Low exhaust notes only need apply... I hate that f*&^ing mad hornet sound I hear so much lately emanating from Honda's running up and down my street. Thx!!<P>Trinity23T :eek: <P>P.S. - Sidenote, I saw a guy with a mid eighties ragged out civic going down the road the other day... with a 2 gallon galvanized bucket (literally) welded to his exhaust pipe. Funny as hell! I almost had to pull over I was laughing so hard...
Jason B
1993 MX-3 GS
1.8 V6 5 speed
greatunicon

Re: Need to hear some exhaust sounds...

Post by greatunicon »

make some hole from ur muffer, will be huge sound. ahahahaha
a
Spetznaz

Post by Spetznaz »

I have a Tanabe Racing Medallion can with 2 1/4 piping from the cat. It has a very deep sound and doesn't get high pitched at all. It comes with a silencer as well. Above 4000 rpms or so it quiets down nicely.
Suspension Techniques lowering kit, front and rear strut braces, Ractive cold air intake, 16" wheels with 215/40's, full cat back custom Tanabe Racing Medallion exhaust. Custom Competion stereo, full interior purple neon lighting.
jfbourgault

Post by jfbourgault »

Hey spetznaz, is your tanabe medalion a kit made for the mx-3 ??<P>I had a universal Vibrant muffler, the sound was good but a little too loud on long runs. It also had to be welded in a crooked way because the inlet pipe on the oem muffler of the mx3 is on top and the one on the Vibrant muffler was in the middle.It didn't look bad at all, but it was a little bit apparent when looked at from the side that the muffler was crooked.<BR> How did you manage that one ?
92 mx-3 GS .greeeeeeeen!<BR>Honda !!!, what do you mean Honda??<BR>Oh sorry, you meant that piece of crap parked next to my car! oh sorry again, I meant to say lawnmower....
Spetznaz

Post by Spetznaz »

I originally had a Pacesetter cat-back. All I did was cut off the old muffler, and leave all the piping. I then welded on the Tanabe to the pipe. I had a friend hold the tube where I wanted it and welded on new hangers so they reached the stock location. To completely line it up, I heated the pipe at a few different spots to let it flex and hang more naturally (no hitting the chassis or anything) It is a universal muffler, but very much looking into. Hope it helps.
Suspension Techniques lowering kit, front and rear strut braces, Ractive cold air intake, 16" wheels with 215/40's, full cat back custom Tanabe Racing Medallion exhaust. Custom Competion stereo, full interior purple neon lighting.
93 mx-3 gs/se

Post by 93 mx-3 gs/se »

I have a DynoMax "Ultra-Flo" Muffler and I absoulty love it! There isn't even a trace of that PMS infested, ticked off weedwacker, caffinated bumble bee, fart pipe, cofee can tip, raspy, angry buzz sound that I hear coming from 90% of all honda's. :D It has a REALLY deep tone from about 2,000-3,000 RPM and then it slowly quiets down as the RPM rises. However, if you put your foot into it, it sounds like an indy car. Really high, but pure quality and no raspyness. I would recommend it all the way. The only downside to the muffler is that it doesn't have the same impressive sytling that can be found in other mufflers, basically it looks very plain. But then again, sound should come before looks. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img] And the best part is it's only like $87 bucks from dynomax's web site!
corona

Post by corona »

I have a Maxspeed canister muffler(4.5 inch tip) and i love it. I don't know why but when the car is cold it dosent saound too loud but as soon as it warm up it will be deep and mid-loud, it also quiet down after 4000 rpm. People be scare to race me when they see my engine and here my muffler sound. specially all these little civics.
"Its not how you stand beside your car, is how you race it"<BR> Ja-Rule
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

K, let me first make it clear how much i hate the honda weedwacker noise...<P><BR>I also have a '94 with my catalytic converter hallowed out, and the Pacesetter exhaust from JCWhitney.com. I LOVE the way it sounds...nice deep sound, goes along nice with the roaring noise from the intake...it's like $150 w/ a warantee...well worth the money...2.25'' catback, mandrel bent
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

If you IM me, i can send you a video of my car where you can hear it pretty well. From both inside and outside the car as well. But ill have to get the video from a friend. <P>Also, its on a 4 cylinder, not the K8.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Pac Man

Post by Pac Man »

Well i got a performance muffler and this one sounds nice and low like a lamburgini. Lots of my friends like it.you should ask around on the performance stores see what they have to say. :D
Why go when you can SHOW!!!!! :)
Pac Man

Post by Pac Man »

Well i got a performance muffler and this one sounds nice and low like a lamburgini. Lots of my friends like it.you should ask around on the performance stores see what they have to say. just a suggestion,Its what i did ,Well thats one f@@@ over on me ?<BR> :mad:
Why go when you can SHOW!!!!! :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”