removing a /c will help peformance ?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Sean Mandell

removing a /c will help peformance ?

Post by Sean Mandell »

im jus wondering this cause obviously it would take some weight off and everytime i use my a/c it seems like i loose power. :(
"A hero and a coward both feel fear but it is the hero who reacts first while the coward hides behind the hero"
pelado

Re: removing a /c will help peformance ?

Post by pelado »

You are absolutely correct. Less weight means the engine does not have to move as much, so theoretically, it should go somewhat faster without the weight of the A/C system. Less drag on the engine means more HP available to propel car forward. How much faster? Probably not enough to equal the effort required to take it off. This mod is only worth it if you intend to race your vehicle and you can find a racer to buy it once you decide to sell. You can always live with the extra weight and make sure your A/C is off when you race. Personally, I live in the South and only a masochist drives an automobile without A/C down here. Automobiles without A/C in the South have piss poor resale value.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
onyx_ZX3

Post by onyx_ZX3 »

if you do take it off would you sell the whole system to me?<P>i have a v-6 in the south..gonna be my wifes baby now....you know women...
92 GS Black (retired to wife control, but in my care)<BR>01 Focus Zx3 Black<BR>I'm Still Stationed In AR...Help???
Mr. MX6

Post by Mr. MX6 »

It sounds to me like he/she is saying when it is switched on…<BR>Well you loose power when it is switched on quite a bit …the Aircon compressor is a hard little sucker to turn and does drink the fuel, and rob the motor of power. <BR>If you did remove it the gains would not de that significant (just put another 30odd Kgs in your car and see if you can notice the difference, then think of it in reverse).<BR>Just don’t switch it on when you are having a drag! :D
white fish

Post by white fish »

If you dont use it remove it <BR>I say it will give you HP because the money you make selling it you can sink back in the car and buy some go fast goodies <BR> :D<p>[ March 03, 2002: Message edited by: white fish ]
Sean Mandell

Post by Sean Mandell »

I think whitefish is right. I live in The T dot and when summer comes rolling along my windows and sunroof are sufficiant. Of course I try to predict the shade when I park. I also might be anal but I rather save the stress on the engine as I make her scream on the reg.
"A hero and a coward both feel fear but it is the hero who reacts first while the coward hides behind the hero"
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

You can also just cut the belt off of the pulley...a lot easier and cheaper
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
Mr. MX6

Post by Mr. MX6 »

No don’t do that !!!<BR>The A.C. has an electric clutch and the load is only on the motor when the A.C. is switched on .<BR>All though it appears to be turning it is just the outer half of the pulley wheel not the compressor drive.<BR>But yea in some parts of the world an A.C. may not de essential … but down here in Australia I can’t live with out it..

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”