I think I blew my engine....

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
RayRay

I think I blew my engine....

Post by RayRay »

I was driving home the other night and cruising at 1500 rpm's in 5th, and the power just gradually died. I watched the tach slowly drop from 1500 to 0. Pulled it over and tried to restart it, no luck. I checked the spark plug wires, no oil, just replaced the valve cover gaskets a year ago (10k miles ago) also changed the dist. cap & rotor at the same time. I brought it to the shop and the mechanic can't take a look at it until monday. I think it might be time to drop in a 2.5L...... :(
2005 Nissan 350z
1990 Mustang GT - [sold]
1992 Mx-3 GS - [sold]
RayRay

Re: I think I blew my engine....

Post by RayRay »

...also the battery's new, and it cranks but it just won't start. I just changed the oil 3 weeks ago, (500 miles ago) so I doubt it ran out of oil. Any guesses at what the fate of my Mx-3 is? :confused:
2005 Nissan 350z
1990 Mustang GT - [sold]
1992 Mx-3 GS - [sold]
Quazi5

Post by Quazi5 »

Power just decreased huh? before I can make any suggs I need more info. Did you hear anything before it happened like a loud audiable "POP"? Did you put gas in it? (hey, there are some people) Have you let it run low on gas at anythime? There are a number of things that it could be... I (and I think everyone else) need more info before I can try give a diagnosis. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Blake Gibson<BR>'93 Black MX-3 GS<BR>Anyday is a good day if I'm in my MX-3.
white fish

Post by white fish »

mmmm when the disty goes it just shut off like someone turned off the key so its not that<P>maybe something to do with fuel the pump maybe
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Fuel Filter?
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Mx-3 Gs-x

Post by Mx-3 Gs-x »

if u think u did then, go ahead and blow it up but make sure u have a engine to back it up
KiSs My a$s......yEa
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

1500 in 5th gear??? I swear i dont understand the concept of a manual transmission.....<P>A couple of questions that need to be asked. Did you hear anything like a crackle or a pop? Did you see any thermal activity (smoke, swelter). If it just ran out of power without other symptoms then i doubt its your engine, more likely something regarding fuel (pump, filter, lines). Engines dont just die without some kind of noise or smoke
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
pelado

Post by pelado »

I had a timing belt go once. No noise whatsoever. Power just went away. Engine refused to start. The timing belt didn't break, all of the teeth were sheared off.<BR>If you suspect a timing belt problem, then do NOT try to crank it.<P>Another problem I had was an intermittent open in the electrical system. Everything died, though. No radio, lights, nothing. A ground wire had developed a break inside the insulation. Very hard to find.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
RayRay

Post by RayRay »

Here's what I know so far, (mechanic didn't look at it yet, he should today)<P>- it shouldn't be the timing belt, replaced it at 87k miles, I now have 110k. That was done 2 years ago.<P>- there was no loud bang (I didn't hear anything over the music, but it wasn't playing loud)<P>- no smoke<P>- electrical system still works<P>- distributer was fixed a year ago<P>- valve cover gasket/oil leak problem was fixed last year<P>- there was plenty of gas in it, half way mark<P>- no I've never run it close to empty, I always fill up when I got 3 gallons left<P>- did an oil change 3 weeks ago ~ 500 miles ago, doubt I needed to top off the oil<P>- I do have fun with the car, I don't beat it up like some people do but not exactly *normal driving*, I'm sure all of us on this UBB do the same<P>- I have not replaced the fuel filter since I got the car, so that could be a possibility, and I doubt any of the past owners have either<P>I dropped off my car on Friday and I miss my car already. :(
2005 Nissan 350z
1990 Mustang GT - [sold]
1992 Mx-3 GS - [sold]
RayRay

Post by RayRay »

I just got a call from the mechanic. My ignition coil was dead. He said he could only find it as a set with the distributor. He found a rebuilt one for me - $290 usd. Ouch! I'm on the hunt for a cheaper one. help!<BR> <A HREF="http://www.nopionline.com/partdetails.a ... tID=330494" TARGET=_blank>http://www.nopionline.com/partdetails.a ... =330494</A> <P>does that include the coil?
2005 Nissan 350z
1990 Mustang GT - [sold]
1992 Mx-3 GS - [sold]
white fish

Post by white fish »

290 sounds about right
Mradio

Post by Mradio »

hey man, $290 is a rip off, you should look around , maybe even your local junk yard in Jersey, if youare trying to save some money.<BR>and yes that Nopi price sounds a lot more reasonable and it comes with everything you need
Check out my ride and leave some feedback please!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mradio007
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

JCWhitney.com and nopi.com have them for about $90
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
jasonbierschwale

Post by jasonbierschwale »

NAPA!! NAPAONLINE!!! NAPA PArts!!!! Buy a Probe v6 2.5 disty for the same year for $145.
Jason B
1993 MX-3 GS
1.8 V6 5 speed

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”