my car is smoking!!!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
CRUISIN3P

my car is smoking!!!!

Post by CRUISIN3P »

I have a 95 Probe GT And i have noticed that white smoke is coming out the exhaust.I have about 94K on it and i'm hpoing its not enegie problems. It dosn't smeel like oil, just like exhaust fumes. Think it could be the stock catyltic converter?? It has never been changed, so i know its very old. All input would be cery helpful!! thanx!! CHris
David Coleman

Re: my car is smoking!!!!

Post by David Coleman »

White smoke is burning coolant.<BR>Headgasket? How many miles and have you EVER overheated?
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
CRUISIN3P

Post by CRUISIN3P »

No, my car has never overheated, and if its engine coolant, what would be the problem, like how do i fix that?? thanx for the info!! and please keep it coming!! it sux when my car is kinda quick and looks real fast, like all bodyklitted and all, but is the SMOKE MACHINE!! hehe, thanx guys! Chris
CRUISIN3P

Post by CRUISIN3P »

anyone have any other suggestions??
93mxrgs

Post by 93mxrgs »

do u have any coolant in your oil. >? isnt that a sign, (dave correct me if im wrong, which i could be)
Black-93 mx-3 Gs-R<BR>with goodies :) :)<BR>Hondas suck, and yes i race them...<BR>oops i mean no no i dont
CRUISIN3P

Post by CRUISIN3P »

i dont think i have coolant in there, but the last time i got my oil changed i got a quart of this slick 50 engine treatment put in and I tihnk 4 quarts of tri-synthetic mobil 1 in. I don't know if this could do anything to the oik, but i have also noticed my gas mileage has dropped a little bit and i haven't been able to even chirp the tires bewtween first and 2nd shift, which i used to be able to lay down rubber. I have a stage 1 clutchmasters too, so i'm not sure why i haven't been able to do that. Thanx for the help guys!
Coolzombi

Post by Coolzombi »

what color is the smoke ?? and do it smoke all time or just when starting or ..??<BR>and i have heard that the syntetic oil can't be use on any car maybe it can dammage your gasket ..i d'ont know..<P>and you have a lost of power, it can be your resonator or ,like you said,catalyc converter<BR>can do this if its obstruated.<P>good luck and i hope you do not have coolant in your oil cause it can be a head crack :( $$$
Friends don't let friends drive stock.
CRUISIN3P

Post by CRUISIN3P »

Damn!!!! I hope i dont have coolant in my oil either!! A head crack would be awful!! Talk about a new engine, damn! I'm saving for a turbo and it seems that everythign sets me back! The smoke is white by the way and its does it afte i drive it for alittle bit or let it sit, its not right away and it never stops! I went by a shop today, and the guy said it could be one of 2 things, a headgasket or really bad engine coolant. I'm hoping its option number 2, cuz thats easy to fix, but fat chance cuz the coolant looks green, but i think i'm going to have it flushed anyways at a greasemonkey. If anyone else has any suggestions please tell! thanx guys! Chris
jasonbierschwale

Post by jasonbierschwale »

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like bad rings or bad valve seals to me. Black/grey smoke is bad timing/unburned fuel... but white SMOKE is always burning oil. Now, if it's more like steam, you've got coolant leaking into your combustion chambers, and you'll either have a warped/cracked head or a blown head gasket. I've been around combustion engines a long time... I was bustin my knuckles on my first V8 almost 20 years ago. Mebbe all this computer controlled s*&t can make an engine smoke white for some other reason, but in my experience white smoke means an engine rebuild. Sorry... [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Jason B
1993 MX-3 GS
1.8 V6 5 speed
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

yea, i craked two pistons in my last 1.8 in a race, right after i started smoking white. I took the plugs out and used a mag-light bulb with wires attatched two a AAbattery, droped it in and seen the holes in my pistons. water in your oil, the easyest way to check is pull your dipstick and look, if so you'd see water droplets on it with the oil. And then if its a bad head gasket you'll be out of cooland with no signs of coolant in the radiator, or oily coolant leaks/stains else were in the front of the compartment, maybe a lil bit on the block maybe. but if you notice any oil in the exaust (I mean oil not residue) its definetly your pistons.<BR>note: a head gasket set for the 2.5L probe cost about $250. and what was stated above it just text book signs of the problems.<P>Not to scare ya, but the loss of power and the smoke sounds just like my craked pistons.<p>[ January 01, 2002: Message edited by: SE-Man ]
RedBPmx3
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by RedBPmx3 »

jasonbierschwale wrote:Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like bad rings or bad valve seals to me. Black/grey smoke is bad timing/unburned fuel... but white SMOKE is always burning oil. Now, if it's more like steam, you've got coolant leaking into your combustion chambers, and you'll either have a warped/cracked head or a blown head gasket. I've been around combustion engines a long time... I was bustin my knuckles on my first V8 almost 20 years ago. Mebbe all this computer controlled s*&t can make an engine smoke white for some other reason, but in my experience white smoke means an engine rebuild. Sorry... [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
actually.. white smoke is usually always COOLANT.. not oil.

oil burning has a blueish tinge to it.

black=unburnt fuel/carbon build up
white=coolant coolant coolant
blueish=oil burning
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

8 year old thread, bud.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

This forum is starting to look like a bad horror movie...there's dead rising everywhere... :lol: :lol:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
RedBPmx3
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by RedBPmx3 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:8 year old thread, bud.
boredom=responding to any posts that can be responded to LOL

doesnt hurt to post.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Gotta be really bored if you're responding to an 8 year old thread. I'm sure as hell sure that others have experienced those problems more recent than 8 years...

If he wasn't already over 30 posts, I would of thought he was just spamming to bring up is post count.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”