Question about sub postion

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
The_Great_Tonge

Question about sub postion

Post by The_Great_Tonge »

Well I was wondering...which way is best to fire the subs?? Unlike many mx'ers i have a hatch cover, so blaa hahaha ;) anyways i was wondering if i should take it out, or leave it in and how to postion the subs. I would love some feedback, thanks!
whinypunk

Re: Question about sub postion

Post by whinypunk »

the hatch on our cars are flimsy so that wont be doin you any good except maybe adding unwanted noise and vibration.
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Fire them back at the rear end, you will get more bass. IF anyone wants to argue with me, i got my information from the local shop who built my box and the guy that owns it is in magazines and he is the guy around here that does the 100k installs on the escalades and stuff like that...
about the hatch cover..try to find a way to keep it, i wanted to keep mine but my amps are mounted on top of my box and it will not fit....hatch covers are good for covering up what you've got to deter possible theafs. Id just try to reinforce it or even try velcro and wheather stripping....if you velcro it down it wont come up automatically when you open the hatch, but at least it will hide your subs.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mx3man83:
Fire them back at the rear end, you will get more bass. IF anyone wants to argue with me, i got my information from the local shop who built my box and the guy that owns it is in magazines and he is the guy around here that does the 100k installs on the escalades and stuff like that...
about the hatch cover..try to find a way to keep it, i wanted to keep mine but my amps are mounted on top of my box and it will not fit....hatch covers are good for covering up what you've got to deter possible theafs. Id just try to reinforce it or even try velcro and wheather stripping....if you velcro it down it wont come up automatically when you open the hatch, but at least it will hide your subs.
<hr></blockquote><p>Definately your argument from me. Sub up port back is PROVEN to be loudest. If you do a sealed box, then just do sub back(thats where the presure comes from in a sealed box). As for the hatch cover, I don't have one, don't want one. Tint the window if you are worried about prying eyes.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
airjordon_09

Post by airjordon_09 »

yeah, i had a hatch cover and took it out, i have 5% tint on my back window and you cant see my subs
JºrDôñ
Mx sold, gonna miss ya babe

gti_driven@hotmail.com
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

im with bumpnglow subs up port back or susb up port up will be louder than firing them back. i know this for a fact because i have tried many setups in my car.
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

i have always fired subs backward... i think u get a better sound...<p>but thats just my 2 cents.........
i say turn you box towards the back seat play it...
then turn it around play it again & see the difference
jason
:D
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
Shades

Post by Shades »

I know this is going against the grain... but my setup is facing forward at about the same angle as the rear window... I also hacked up my cargo cover and cut four squares into it for air flow and sound flow... and I covered it with speaker mesh so they can't see in. I thought for my setup I could feel the bass more as well as it sounded better than facing back for me. BUT remember I custom built my box to flow with the rear window.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
polak_gino

Post by polak_gino »

i have mine on an angle ,facing to the back but on a slight angle up, so it can either bounce of the back or the hatch <p>look at my site if u want to see pics
> Toronto MX-3 Club
> My Car Audio Install
> ProMazda.com

Metalic Green '92 GS 5-Speed
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mx3man83:
<hr></blockquote><p>
i'll argue with you too. i used to work at a stereo shop, one that has took a few international 2nd place trophies, and bumpnglow is right, sub firing up with the port a few inches from the rear is the loudest. my old boss (who had a 171+ dB ford ranger) taught me this, and i have yet to see it proven wrong.
The_Great_Tonge

Post by The_Great_Tonge »

well i have a sealed box with my 2 audibahn aw1200x, ive been messing with it and i dont know yet...ill keep trying!!
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Ok well im glad you all want to argue but if you would like you can check this guys background....his name is Bill and he is the owner of audio 2000 in tucson, Arizona. If you get a change search for them on the web...they have a pimp a$$ excursion and tahoe. adios
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

just cuz you have pimp rides, doesn't mean you are better than anyone else. the guy taught me everthing i know is sponsored by kicker, and runs a vehicle that took 2nd place in IASCI finals in his class, and consistently puts out numbers over 170 dB with only 2 subs. now, what's your buddy Bill got to back himself up? btw, his name is Len Shufelt, if you want to look him up.
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

I don't understand why you guys are arguing... it seems like you are both arguing the same point. You want the pressure going to the hatch and bouncing back. If you have a sealed box, aim the subs straight back. If you have a ported box, subs up, port back. The next best one after that would be subs back port back, but the wavelength is a little different and doesn't work as well.<p>And calm down trying to say well I know such and such and he has a car that did this.... It becomes a big war then.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

i have to add soemthing just because a system looks good don't mean its loud and im sure bumpnglo will back me up on that one

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”