Best Subwoofers

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Best Subwoofers

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

In your opinions who makes the best 12" subs if I'm putting them in a sealed box? I want loud, tight, and accurate bass.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
Steeb

Re: Best Subwoofers

Post by Steeb »

tightest most accurate bass 10's are better than 12's
92RedMX3

Post by 92RedMX3 »

I would recommend something from Image Dynamics. They kick *** and there high end match the W7 for SQ.
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

there is no such thing as a best sub. also 10s might not be better than 12s it depends on the setup. i can give u some subs that would be good but i could helpo u more if u told me box size, amp, etc. image dynamics are nice, mb quarts, dayton dsq(thats what i got :) ), dayton titanic m2, respl xxx, shocker audio ss, the list goes on and on. just do some research and find what is best for ur price range and setup.
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

I've got Earthquake Magmas 12's, they are awesome. But I think Audiobahn is up there.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

http://www.adireaudio.com/
these subs kick *** ! My friend has a Shiva and its clear LOUD and barley any machanical noise! its awsome and recommend that.... or the even more amazing Brahma. I think some ppl have hit 150db with one shiva before, which is very good!<p> my 2 cents
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies
92RedMX3

Post by 92RedMX3 »

T-Rose is also right on. The speaker is VERY good and to boot I know others on other boards that when they did have problems(blew a sub) the guy was more than cool replacing it. so basically they have solid people standing behind the product. These are also very popular for audiophiles with there home systems.
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

those are are all real good subs just remember the sub can only sound as good as the amp powering it
airjordon_09

Post by airjordon_09 »

in personal opinion and from personal experience, i have helped put in a lot of systems and have spent a lot of time at the local car stereo shop, and found for money, SQ and loudness, the 12" alpine type r's are byyyy far my fav, they are awsome and they put out no dirty bass that some "future shop" subs put out, but its up to you bro,<p>good luck
peace
JºrDôñ
Mx sold, gonna miss ya babe

gti_driven@hotmail.com
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

haha, if u think the Alpine Type R's are nice... just wait... Phoenix Gold's 2003 line it is sweet. I can't wait for the Tantrum X.<p>[ December 26, 2002: Message edited by: Talon_66 ]</p>
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
92RedMX3

Post by 92RedMX3 »

and the box is 80% or more of the sound.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I personally wouldnt say that a box is 80% of it.<p>I think for a good sounding system you need good quality parts. Everything is going to effect your sound.<p>*Your headunit... The basis of the sound. It all starts here.<p>*Your wiring... too small and crosstalk will reduce sound quality. Its also in how you wire it. Powerwire and RCAs/Speaker wires should be run atleast 12 inches apart. Run your ground along the same side as your RCAs. You need good RCAs too. Get the RCAs with a ground wire between them, and ground it. Oxygen free is always a good idea. I have Fozgate Whitewolf RCa's. I highly recommend them.<p>*Your Amp... Just read this...<p>*Your subs... It all depends on what your looking for, deep bass? Crisp sound? Loud? Good Range? All of this has to be taken into account when buying subs. All subs have their own advantages. Dont just buy a sub because it "bumps"... research, you'll be happier in the long run.
Wiring the subs matters too, you have single and dual voice coils, Series and parallel wiring, and stereo and mono. <p>*The box... Before building a box, you must look @ how your car is designed. Ive personally found the the best sounding, deepest bass, comes from the subs pointing toward the hatch. Also check with the specs of the subs. SOme subs require ported boxes (free air) and some require sealed boxes. Also, when building the box, separate the subwoofer chambers. You cound get distortion if you dont.<p>
IMO the best sound comes from a sealed box (air tight), subs pointed toward the hatch, Subs ran in parallel, and the Amp bridged to mono @ 1 channel.<p>[ December 26, 2002: Message edited by: Custommx3 ]</p>
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

yes i agree with the previouse post all ur wiring and stuff has to be good and as far as the alpines go if u think they sound good u need to get out more. also u will get the best sound quality out of a sealed box the smaller the tighter the bass the larger the deaper the bass. also firing the subs twords the glass will be clearer than firing them back although firing them back will be slightly louder. its all personal prefrance. u have to find out what u like. then listen to dif subs and amps and variouse installs and see what apeals to ur ears. u don't need us to tell u whats good because sound is heard differently by every person so go with what u like cause if it sounds good to u thats all that matters. good luck man.
airjordon_09

Post by airjordon_09 »

<p>[ December 27, 2002: Message edited by: airjordon_09 ]</p>
JºrDôñ
Mx sold, gonna miss ya babe

gti_driven@hotmail.com
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Custommx3:
I personally wouldnt say that a box is 80% of it.<p>I think for a good sounding system you need good quality parts. Everything is going to effect your sound.<p>*Your headunit... The basis of the sound. It all starts here.<p>*Your wiring... too small and crosstalk will reduce sound quality. Its also in how you wire it. Powerwire and RCAs/Speaker wires should be run atleast 12 inches apart. Run your ground along the same side as your RCAs. You need good RCAs too. Get the RCAs with a ground wire between them, and ground it. Oxygen free is always a good idea. I have Fozgate Whitewolf RCa's. I highly recommend them.<p>*Your Amp... Just read this...<p>*Your subs... It all depends on what your looking for, deep bass? Crisp sound? Loud? Good Range? All of this has to be taken into account when buying subs. All subs have their own advantages. Dont just buy a sub because it "bumps"... research, you'll be happier in the long run.
Wiring the subs matters too, you have single and dual voice coils, Series and parallel wiring, and stereo and mono. <p>*The box... Before building a box, you must look @ how your car is designed. Ive personally found the the best sounding, deepest bass, comes from the subs pointing toward the hatch. Also check with the specs of the subs. SOme subs require ported boxes (free air) and some require sealed boxes. Also, when building the box, separate the subwoofer chambers. You cound get distortion if you dont.<p>
IMO the best sound comes from a sealed box (air tight), subs pointed toward the hatch, Subs ran in parallel, and the Amp bridged to mono @ 1 channel.<p>[ December 26, 2002: Message edited by: Custommx3 ]
<hr></blockquote><p>I agree with all the information. I would like to actually correct one part tho. Ported and Free-Air are different things. Sometimes ported boxes will be refered to as free-air, but they're really not. Some subs are free-air only. This is when they don't require a box. These are the ones that can be mounted on a board between the back seat and the trunk or in the door panel. (yes this essentially makes a "box" but it does not require air tight junctures like the ported and sealed boxes must have)I read an article a while back (I believe it was in Import Tuners "12 volt tuning" section) where it went into all the box designs and stuff like that. There is also a million and a half sites online that describe box design and things of that nature. www.partsexpress.com has books on box design, and has a good selection of good but less known speakers.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”