Shaved Antennae

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
VizualXTC

Shaved Antennae

Post by VizualXTC »

Hey, I know some of you out there have shaved your antennaes and I want to know what kind of reception you get now. Do the FM signal boosters work well? I am really interested in shaving it, but I don't want to loose reception. Is there an internal antennae that I can get that will work? I know that the 1999 accord doesn't have an external antennae but it gets really good reception. I was just wondering about it. Thanks
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Andrew_Pakula

Re: Shaved Antennae

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

The best person to ask is Tom S. (percidian) on the boards here. He has his antenna shaved off and has an internal antenna that sticks across the top of the windshield, it's quite cool!
msatz

Post by msatz »

to let you know, when i first got my mx-3 i had some rust spots on the top of the car and i decided to just get rid of the antenna and have it shaved. I also have an external antenna that goes across the top of my windshield, you get about the same reception. It also cost about $175 dollars to fill the hole, and what not. hope that answers your question
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

175 to fill the hole?!? wow, that seems a bit high, i'll buy some bondo and do it myself, thank-you-very-much, lol
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

$175 seems a bit expensive(and I am assuming that is American dollars since you are from minnesota).<P>When I got my Top-mix GTR wing installed they had to weld over the two holes left behind from my old spoiler, that only costed like an extra $100 Canadian mostly because they had to take the glass off first.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by matt satzinger:<BR><STRONG>to let you know, when i first got my mx-3 i had some rust spots on the top of the car and i decided to just get rid of the antenna and have it shaved. I also have an external antenna that goes across the top of my windshield, you get about the same reception. It also cost about $175 dollars to fill the hole, and what not. hope that answers your question</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>$175? you got your a--hole ripped open on that deal bro. Luckily I do my own fiberglass body work. I don't want ANY visible antenna. I just want an internal antenna that will give me close to same reception. If I have to get an FM booster so be it. I don't want to see the antenna at all. Any other options?<P>Thanks
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
LiL-LaW

Post by LiL-LaW »

Hehe what you even need an antena for anyways I mean seriously how often do you guys actually listen to the radio LOL
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Actually in my MX-3 I listen to it all the time. I never used to but I recently found a station that kicks a-- (hard to find in Utah)
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
LiL-LaW

Post by LiL-LaW »

Oh hehe, well I know that I always got my cd player going, I make my own cds rather than have to listen to shitty songs on normal cds. I am good at mixing up tracks and s--- and making a good flowing cd, well that and with a 10-disc cd changer shuffle works wonders :D
avino

Post by avino »

is having the antenna "in" the same as not having one ?? if so the reception sucks.
5spd_GS

Post by 5spd_GS »

no.. its not the same whatsoever.<P>The original question is if the antenna is Shaved off,( a.k.a completely taken out and the remaining hole in the body welded shut and painted over...), would the reception of the radio remain the same.<P>The internal antenna, is like a strip that goes across the inside of the windshield.<P>i want one pretty bad, Andrew wants one worse though :D :roll:
Calen Sansom
1994 MX-3 GS Sparkle Green
anjin1982

Post by anjin1982 »

i had that strip ant. in my old accord the recepition was better than my old one and it only cost me like $10 butt i ran the wires like s---, anyway what if you put the ant. down and got a fm booster that should more than make up for the ant being down right?
http://members.cardomain.com/anjin1982
Maintaining my MX-3 in it's natural beauty state...Although i love the modded one's!!!
tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

Well it's a little more complicated than using a booster to amplify a weak signal when your ant is down.<BR>It's somewhat difficult to boost the signal to noise ratio, so although the signal might be strong enough, there may just be too much noise. My guess is that this will probably work with a windshield antenna in a satisfactory manner, as long as you currently don't have reception issues.<P>The primary downfall of winsheild antennas is that they are somewhat directional. For optimum performance the antenna should be orthoganal (right angle) to the direction of the source. The stock antenna have a somewhat vertical slant to provide this. You could maybe make a windshield dipole, but I doubt it's necissary.<P>All in all I'd say go for it, looks will more than makeup for somewhat worse reception, especially if you mostly listen to tapes/CDs!<BR>Good Luck!
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

I don't use my radio much at all.. I like this strip antennae idea... I might have to get a quote on that being shaved off.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

just get xm radio them u can have a MX3XM
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”